BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at installing a GPS on my GT and the ZUMO 550 seems to get pretty good raps in the techo blogs.

Have any of you guys fitted one and if so whats the outcome.

Does the bluetooth work well?

Also pretty interested in the mounting hardware, I would like any GPS i install to look as integral to the bike as possible and not a bolt on sticking out like a honeymooners Pr--k.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
Dude, just buy it. This is my 3rd Garmin GPS (SPIII, 2610, and now Zumo 550) and by far the best one. Great screen, easy to use interface, first one made for MC use but is great in the car, too, quick routing and route recalculations, everything just rocks. I have it set up with XM radio as well and that works like a charm, too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, how does the bracket system fit up on the GT?

·
Registered
2 Posts
G'Day,

I picked up my new GT yesterday. I had a Zumo on my last bike and I am a big fan. I purchased the BMW Navigator retrofit bracket ($29), this bracket uses a standard AMPS screwhole pattern. The Zumo mount bolts straight on, makes it look like it is supposed to be there. There is a existing connector for the BMW Nav.

I spliced the Zumo power lead into this lead, I left the third wire connected to BMW connector, I think this wire is used to send speed references for dead reckoning (used when the GPS has no signal).

Pics attached.

Cheers,

Brendan

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Brendan, the bracket looks really clean. Im a noob on GPS, what sort of bluetooth setup will you be running and are you able to plug your mp3 Into the zumo?

·
Registered
434 Posts
unit itself is ok, very sensitive, much better than previous models. built-in bluetooth and mp3 player both working well. craddle is a pain though, broken in 3 days, one of the pins does not make proper contact and power is lost. also be aware, if battery completely drained unit will not start, you heve to take battery out, power it on mains supply, then with unit powered put the battery back on. very annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I use a Scala Rider headset, that's paired to the ZUMO, mobile phone is also paired to the ZUMO. The scala has 2 mono speakers.

The ZUMO doesn't allow you to plug in an external MP3 player,however, it does have it's own built in MP3 player. There is an external audio-in option for a microphone.

Cheers

·
Registered
838 Posts
jklotz said:
I am on a mac - any word of Garmin providing support? Last I heard, it was pc only
Great news for Mac users actually. You can convert all your Mapsource map products (data) to Mac from PC with a tool Garmin provides and then operate within the Mac environment with their new Mac mapping tool (beta version at the moment) called "Bobcat". They have the POI Loader, MapInstall and several other programs ported over to the Mac.

Check it all out here.

I was impressed when I went out to purchase a Forerunner 305 and found that on March 28 they just released their "Training Centre" application for the Mac! Really nice product if you're into running or biking, etc.

Bobcat is obviously in its infancy, but I'm sure it will be remarkably better than the Windows version eventually after all its running on a Mac. It interfaces perfectly with my Zumo and all is well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is only my second GPS. I got the Zumo to consolodate components, rather than have three things mounted. The Touch screen works fine, the XM radio is great, with my Motorola slvr phone bluetooth is flawless. I really like the way it picks up my phone book.
I chose to mount mine on a Z-Technic mount on the left rather than in the center. (sorry, no pics) It doesn't look as built-in, but it's easier to fiddle with if you're using a tank bag. And my wife can look over my shoulder to help with choosing restaurants, motels, pubs, etc.
Mine is plugged into the Autocom Super Pro Avi. Wifey and I are now well connected. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ztechnik makes a mount that fits in the center of the bars. The dealer installed mine so I can't help you there. It's a nice clean mount. The zumo cradle bolts directly to it.

As for the Zumo, I had the same prob as one of the previous posts. The battery was fully charged and the unit wouldn't power up. I called Garmin tech help and was directed to remove the battery. You "need" a small metric allen wrench. Wait 10 replace the battery and do a reset, hold the power and "+" buttons down simultaneously for a few seconds.

The unit has lead me astray once or twice other than that I really like it.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
I'm using the ZTechnik handlebar bracket for the GPS and I installed a Big Mak e-shelf that holds the XM puck and my V1 radar detector. I took some pics during my install a couple of weeks ago (added a J&M Integratr IV, Motolights, and a Touratech Canbus helper as well) that I need to process and post. I'll share them once I get off my lazy ass and do something with them. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts