BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Nope. You should have two torx wrenches snapped into a place back there, but that's it. I've heard two stories and don't know which is true: (1) There is a tool kit you can buy to put in that place with the rubber strap, and (2) That strap is to hold a roll of paperwork and an owner's manual. Personally, what I think happened is that the box/strap was designed for a tool kit which they decided to leave out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuckwilmot said:
Nope. You should have two torx wrenches snapped into a place back there, but that's it. I've heard two stories and don't know which is true: (1) There is a tool kit you can buy to put in that place with the rubber strap, and (2) That strap is to hold a roll of paperwork and an owner's manual. Personally, what I think happened is that the box/strap was designed for a tool kit which they decided to leave out.
thanks, i have that tool kit, very nice, it includes torx and 22mm wrench to take out front wheel, expensive though. there is also a cheaper version of the tool kit. got it for the gs and will keep it.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
The rubber belt is to hold an afetermarket tool kit or the manual. I elected to keep my old toolkit from my KRS when I sold it. I placed it in the rubber thingy. No need for a toolkit on this bike as it never needs service and when it does, no toolkit on the bike will fix what is in need of service.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
In addition to the two L-shaped Torx wrenches, my K1200GT came with a cheap screwdriver on the left side. It has a yellow plastic handle with a reversible phillips/flat blade.

The dealer used the rubber straps to hold the user manual under the seat. I put it in a ziploc freezer bag (for weather proofing and long life), and keep it there.

I bought a K1200S toolkit from Chicago BMW. It is WAY overpriced. I haven't tried to see if it will fit under the seat. When I do, I'll let you know.

See this thread:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=5060

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I went to my local dealership yesterday and looked at the optional tool kit. I was pretty underwhelmed and didn't buy it. I kick myself all the time that I didn't keep the tool kit which was in my R100/7 back in the old days... although maybe the valve adjustment guage would have been useless. It even came with an embroidered BMW shop rag.

I'm considering looking around for a first aid kit which will fill that spot and use the rubber strap to tie it down.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Tools

Doru-in-Romania said:
Found a rubber belt under the passenger seat obviously ment to keep in place the tools.
I can't imagine a tool kit that would fit in that space, it's not very high -- the seat comes down right on top of it. When I brought the bike home the manual was there, I got a waterproof bag and added my registration and insurance and keep it there.

I had the same thought about tools, looked at the factory additional tools and thought it was a lot of money for not so much. I ended up getting a metric Cruz Tools set and supplementing it with a couple of wrenches and a torx driver set. It doesn't fit under the seat though -- I crammed a cargo net, some duct tape, and a flashlight under there but nothing else would fit. [I figure the cargo net is a good thing to go under the seat for those times when you buy something on impulse and forget you don't have the bags on...]

Another thing you'll probably want to add to your kit is this 90* valve stem adapter which makes it a heck of a lot easier to fill the rear tire with a normal pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts