BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anybody running version 7.0 software who has put the EVO race filter system (inc'l removing stock intake runners) and full aftermarket exhaust on their bike.

My bike developed a high-rpm misfire at wide open throttle after doing this. Trying to figure out whether unique to 7.0 or not.

It ran fine on 7.0 for several thousand miles before the exhaust/intake change. After adding these items, tried both with and without O2 sensor; no difference in behavior, problem happens consistently.

BMW dealer service dept says no ECU error codes are set, throttle position and crankshaft position sensor are OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Possible Fuel Glitch

I have the 7.0 SW, evo race filters and full Akrapovic exhaust on my 06 K1200R with about 200 miles (ecu was reset) and no misfire problems. Enhanced performance is very noticable and seems to be consistent throughout rpm range. I have always believed that one off issues such as your misfire are probably a fuel quality issue so I add a little fuel injector cleaner every 4 tank fills. When these bikes get tuned to this level our friends at Shell can be the spoliers!

·
Registered
403 Posts
joema said:
Looking for anybody running version 7.0 software who has put the EVO race filter system (inc'l removing stock intake runners) and full aftermarket exhaust on their bike.

My bike developed a high-rpm misfire at wide open throttle after doing this. Trying to figure out whether unique to 7.0 or not.

It ran fine on 7.0 for several thousand miles before the exhaust/intake change. After adding these items, tried both with and without O2 sensor; no difference in behavior, problem happens consistently.

BMW dealer service dept says no ECU error codes are set, throttle position and crankshaft position sensor are OK.
Are you saying the dealer tried to diagnose your problem and couldn't find anything wrong?

If they've sent you home to research your solution on the internet, you might try to get another shop to look at the bike.

If we're stabbing the dark, try a new set of plugs or could be a bad plug wire.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer did their normal diagnostics and found nothng. Bike is currently at a dedicated performance tuning shop being examined. If load dyno and A/F ratio is wrong, will correct with Dimsport. If they're within limits, will pursue other areas. May put stock intake back on, and if problem still happens, return to dealer and get them to escalate to BMWNA support. Thanks for the suggestions; will follow up on those.

·
Registered
403 Posts
joema said:
The dealer did their normal diagnostics and found nothng. Bike is currently at a dedicated performance tuning shop being examined. If load dyno and A/F ratio is wrong, will correct with Dimsport. If they're within limits, will pursue other areas. May put stock intake back on, and if problem still happens, return to dealer and get them to escalate to BMWNA support. Thanks for the suggestions; will follow up on those.
I had an 04 RS that was running great. Got up on a Sunday morning to ride and the bike had dropped 1 cylinder. Turned out a plug wire had gone bad.

Your problem sounds electrical due to only malfunction is at high RPM.

Good luck! As long as it repeats at regular intervals, the shop should be able to track it. Let us know.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xlr8r said:
Your problem sounds electrical due to only malfunction is at high RPM...
It's consistent, but requires two items: (1) At least 80% throttle (2) Over 8,000 rpm. Given those two conditions, it happens virtually 100% of the time in 2nd gear.

Full throttle at lower engine speed never causes it, nor does redline rpm if using less throttle.

When resolved will post explanation.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ken at Evoluzione advised that their test bike ran rich outside the closed loop management and up to wide open throttle (wot) at an earlier state of modification pre 7.0. It'd be interesting to see where your A/F ratios are on the dyno and/or on road just before the misfire.

·
Registered
730 Posts
joema said:

Please keep us posted - I'd be interested in a DIMSPORT too if it solved the fueling issues once and for all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed a full Remus Ti system with Ken's Race filters when it still had the 6.x software and ran it in that condition for nearly 4,000 miles. About 300 miles ago, I had the 7.0 upgrade, which in most phases of riding, was an upgrade. Since then, however, I have not had the opportunity to really open up the throttle. There appears to be some sort of "crack-down" in the "cow-town" (Sacramento, CA) with the fuzz... Anyway, I will check to see if there is some kind of hesitation or something up high if I get that "opportunity"...

In the meantime, if you have not done so already, disconnect the negative terminal off of your battery overnight and then reconnect in the morning. This "resets" the computer to relearn the changes in the system (i.e. new exhaust, etc). I found that this was one of the biggest steps in getting the performance I paid so dearly for...

Cheers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sportrider said:
Please keep us posted - I'd be interested in a DIMSPORT too if it solved the fueling issues once and for all.
Just returned from tuner. A/F ratio is OK, problem is apparently a mechanical transmission issue. Feels atypical for that -- no grinding or rpm spike, feels just like a momentary misfire or power loss. Maybe it's slipping a cog a high torque? Only happens in 2nd gear. Back to BMW tomorrow.

I suspect a manufacturing defect that was exposed by the slightly higher power and torque of the exhaust and EVO intake.

The performance shop says while A/F ratio was OK, it could be further improved using the Dimsport device. We decided to defer that until the other problem is resolved.

Peak rear wheel hp increased from 135 hp before the Akropovic full exhaust and EVO intake to 149.5 hp with them. Running 7.0 ECU software.

So what Ken from http://www.evoluzione.net/ says seems correct: a full aftermarket exhaust and his intake system will provide significant gains, and don't cause dangerous leaning of the A/F ratio. Also using the Dimsport Rapidbike3 fuel map adjuster can provide additional gains, because while the A/F ratio is OK, it's far from perfect.

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
Imagine that.....yet ANOTHER probable shift fork/rounded second gear problem. What's that now? I think that's six on this site alone, but who's counting and how many don't we even know about. Keep everybody posted....good luck. 2t2f

·
2,029 Posts
What I figured....I've been following the situation for a while. Just can't stand the standard Dealer Mantra "no...we haven't heard of any transmission failures like you're talking about" Such bullshit......2t

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2tall2fall said:
...Just can't stand the standard Dealer Mantra "no...we haven't heard of any transmission failures like you're talking about" Such bullshit......2t
It appears BMW doesn't provide dealers with adequate data systems, and that's a key cause of what you mention.

In other service industries, each service incident is logged in a centralized database. All support engineers (or at least the managers) can query an indexed version of this.

Thus equipped, a BMW service manager would simply key in the symptoms and immediately see there have been X occurrences of Y problem within Z timeframe, and what actions were taken to resolve it by what dealer. This isn't rocket science. Such database systems have been available for many years, and they aren't expensive. It wouldn't even require a major capital investment from dealers, just at the corporate level.

By contrast unless BMW provides a technical bulletin on a problem, dealers are reduced to calling around (by phone), asking other dealers "have you seen this problem". They may also have access to a BMW tech rep, but once again -- it's apparently by phone. IF they can get in touch, and IF the rep remembers a problem, he MIGHT have some advice.

BMW service managers are afraid of additional "paperwork", or procedural requirements, and that's a valid concern. But they are ALREADY entering each service activity they perform -- it just stays on their local system. Each dealer is mostly a "data island" to themselves. But the items they already enter could easily be automatically uploaded to a centralized database, indexed, and these results made queryable by all dealers. This is commonly done in other service industries.

It's sad -- the capability exists to instantly leverage the entire dealer network's service experience. Developing trends could be quickly spotted WITHOUT waiting for a technical bulletin being "pushed out" to the dealers. Properly done, this would expedite troubleshooting, improve customer satisfaction and reduce support costs.

·
2,029 Posts
Well said, but sad. My 25 years involvement managing highline car dealerships (not BMW) lends credence to my attitude concerning the lack of Motorrad TSB's via dealer links. Again....BS. 2t

1 - 16 of 16 Posts