BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a top case at a great price off the web - brand new 500 bucks. I noticed in the manual that there are supposed to be some stick-on pads that must protect the rear rack from getting scraped up when the topcase is on the bike... these pads did not come with the case. Anybody have a photo that shows where these pads get installed on the rack ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know what bike you are riding but on my 2007 GT the clear plastic tape goes over the (4) black painted ribs that you see when looking down from above the rack. It is where the hard case makes contact with the rack when installed. I didn't get them with my bike either but substituted some black sticky backed tape. It is only installed to help prevent the black paint from getting scuffed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can also add the clear or black tape to the top case instead of the bike's rack. Works either way...

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
When I bought my new K1200GT in 2007, the dealer attached the 49 liter top case and probably threw away the thick clear tape (pads?). By the time I got around to reading the manual that came with the top case (I read the KGT manual first, of course), there was about two months wear on the black plastic parts of the rack. It wasn't much, but you could see the buffing and scratches.

I had to ask several times for the pads, and finally got them from the dealer, but there is some wear that won't go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts