BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a Ducati Streetfighter. 300 pounds lighter than a GT. Lots of power. Can't be any less reliable than the BMW - or can it?

More minimalist equipment may be in order since the Ducati charging system is also minimal. No Motolights or supp. lighting. Maybe ditch the Zumo GPS/XM Radio as well and use the phone's if I need one (it has Garmin XT on it as well as AT&T Navigator). Maybe just a MP3 player (Sony Walkman X-series) and a radar detector is all it needs. Least all my "colorful" BMW road clothing my be easier to explain on a Ducati than to the "forever black" H-D crowd.

Damn Harley sales guy has been irritating me to no end since my GT has been a real shop whore of late. I don't think I can handle something that goes so slow as a H-D though. Maybe a Ducati? They have their service intervals out to 7,500 miles now. No local dealer, which I discovered can be a good thing as one needs to search out a better one somewhere else, considering the one I have for BMW is the pits.

Confused. :dunno:

Mack

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well Ducati makes a fine bike with great quality. If you like 2 cylinders and I don't. But I could do a Desmo RR 4 Cyl.

I rode a couple of Duc's two months ago at a track day. The Hypermotoard and GT1100.

Compared to my K1200RS the Duc's.

The duc's handled great, not much power, but these bikes are not a Street-fighter with 155HP.
I do not like all the vibration from the twin.
The brakes sucked, I am comfortable with the BMW power linked brake system.
I am 63 years young and I had to pull that brake lever so hard I tore some tendons in my arm to get the bike to slow down from 110MPH.

The Duc needs lots of maintenance so you will need a mechanic that knows how to work on them Duc’s.

I found this site at http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/354/1557/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Ducati-Streetfighter-First-Look.aspx it has a lot of comments from Duc riders about the SF.

Hope your GT get out of the hospital soon and stays well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've owned a Monster, which I loved and regret selling, and I currently have an 848 in addition to the K1200GT. Unfortunately, I've had loads of problems with the 848: stalling coming up to lights in neutral, leaking radiator and head gasket as well as a voltage regulator recall. The stalling problem hasn't been resolved and I'm currently working with Ducati North America.

All that aside, the 848 is just sick. Handles like it's on rails, brakes are excellent and it never seems to run out of power. The K1200GT fulfills all of my non-hooligan requirements while the 848 does everything else. No matter what happens with the stalling problem, I'll always have a Duc in my garage.

I've looked at the SF and I'm not sure if I'd go with the S or not. The traction control doesn't really interest me, but the Ohlins does. From what I understand it's the 1098 engine, but manufactured using the same vacuum process they used on the 848 engine, resulting in lighter, stronger parts. It weighs the same as the 848 and produces about 30 more bhp.

I'm also looking at the Hypermotard. The problems are: limited fuel capacity and the brakes on the base model suck. Other than that, the engine has seen a long life from the Multistrada so I'm not worried about the problems normally seen with a new model year.

Best bet is to go for a test ride and be careful with the brakes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Humm, where to start. Duc's are not for everyone. Not anymore expensive on upkeep than most other modern bikes especially since my 999 doesnt rack up the miles like my K12GT. Have had a few and all made me smile. The sound of the desmo, testastretta in my case, is magical to me and so is the dry clutch-but again not for everyone. I have an '05 999-red of course, with just over 9k on the clock. Few mods, few track days, but mostly backroads. The linear power of the twin, and just the whole Ducati package is worth the price of admission. And, you don't see yourself everywhere you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I rode my Nephew's brand new 2007 ? 998 air cooled Monster jobbie..... i thought it powered up and handled like a dream in the twisties......great brakes as well.

I handed it back to him after a 1/2 hour and was glad to re-mount my K-100 RS.... at 68 yrs old, the K is more my style but the Duck is a fine piece of machinery and beautifull to look at.... :teeth

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I visited the Streetfighter forum and it appears the bike has a serious stumbling at 3500-4000 RPM. Sounds familiar. Nuts. :(

Went to see one at the Fresno, CA dealership which is mutli-brand in a new building yet to be discovered by Google Earth by Hwy. 99. The car's GPS with a one-year old map update couldn't find it, but the AT&T Navigator phone did. Nice dealership, but only 2 Ducatis and neither was a Streetfighter. They claim they didn't order them due to the economy, but if there is enough request...maybe. The dealer in Santa Barbara may have them at a possibly higher price. Fresno seemed to be willing to deal on prices though and they travel quite a ways on some service schedule to pick up bikes needing service back to their shop. They said they go all the way to Simi Valley for one 998 and its annual service.

The brochure with the black S model is very cool looking indeed. Plus, the 300 pounds savings over the GT is immense, but no bags. More upright sitting position too on the Streetfighter (claimed). Oh, no ST models anymore either from Ducati. Did learn the ST2, ST3, ST4 were the designations of the number of valves per cylinder (i.e. 2, 3, 4 valves) on the Ducati line. What is amazing is how they manage to get 155 HP out of a two cylinder bike (equivalent to 4 cylinders in the BMW K-series)?

They did have two of the Triumph Sprints with bags which look much smaller than the GT's. One used Augusta too. He said they only see a couple of used ST's a year as they seem to be rare.

Mack

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't leaned too much towards keeping two bikes in CA since they've doubled the DMV tax last May. Don't know about the insurance either since that one claim I had by someone who knocked it upside down in a parking lot raised the insurance by $1000 per year (I switched) and that may come into play as well. Now I just shell out the money for drops since I raised the deductible to $1000 and buy the stuff myself and install it.

I like BMW, just that the continual shop downtime is beginning to bug me since ownership. Nearly two months for an airbox switchout/warranty and no end in sight. Got bumped again by the CHP Thursday so this is getting real old and really quick.

Still, the better canyon carving of the Duc may be a calling in near mountain runs of 100 miles or so. Keep the GT for the road? I don't know... I need to see one up close and maybe find a dealer where I can get a test ride first. Might hit Santa Barbara up next weekend or LA. :popcorn:

Mack

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have a 2000 Monster 900.
Seat was terrible 45 minutes max. now it has a Sargent seat, it is great.
Geared very high, had to slip clutch a lot in traffic, went one tooth smaller on motor sprocket two larger on rear. much nicer.
Power commander, slipons and opening up the air box jumped it from 75 hp to 90 hp at rear wheel.

Maintenance - Original battery died the first year (this is year 8 on the Odessey), needed tires at 7500 miles, brake pads at 12,000, valves still in spec at 12,000.

Great bike, as reliable as any Japanese bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to have an '07 Sport 1000 with the air-cooled L-Twin engine. Fun littel bike to zip around on and would wheelie without much provocation, but the low clip-ons gave me some problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I test rode the Streetfighter and the Monster 1100S on Saturday. The streetfighter riding position was comparable to my K12S, but I was put off by the positioning of my right foot on the foot peg with the heat shield being in the way. I had to rest my foot on the peg in a pigeon-toe position that felt very awkward. The Monster was a much more comfortable and more enjoyable ride for me; riding position, seat comfort, wind blast. Definitely a lot more power with the Streetfighter, but the horsepower and torque of the Monster are more than sufficient for my riding style. Now there's a Monster in the garage where the K12S used to sit. The Triumph America still has it's place of distinction and waits patiently for those days when the cruising mood strikes.

Mike

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree with the positioning of the right foot. My foot kept trying to slip off the side of the peg. Other than that, the StreetFighter was nice. Also, agree that the Monster with termis would better suit me. It is a fun bike and it gets up and goes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I owned a '99 748 for 5 years and 10K miles. Sexiest Ducati ever built IMHO. It was on rails in the twisties but the ergos were just terrible and I am not a tall or big guy. After 5 years I did my one obligatory belt change and sold it . Coincidentally, my buyer sold it within 6-9 months. I guess he did not like the ergo's either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im fortunate enough to put quite a few miles on our streetfighter here at the dealership, its a great bike! faster and more agile than my k12r, I had 3 ducs before my 1st bmw namely, s2r, 749 and 1098. i had to sell my 1098 due to uncomfortable riding position. but looking back if I did not buy this k12r just 2 months before we got the streetfighter i would have gotten the SF. and would never look back. the hesitation at lower RPM's can be remedied by a decent tech and a nemesis or power commander. all my ducs gave me less headaches and other electrical gremlins than my k12r. so i could be the exception.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have never owned a Duc,but to me the Duc is a cross between high art and a high maintenance sex goddess.Has to be one the high points of your life owning one if you can afford it.If money wasnt an object i would have one in the garage, if not to ride, just to drool over.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
semplang said:
Im fortunate enough to put quite a few miles on our streetfighter here at the dealership, its a great bike! faster and more agile than my k12r, I had 3 ducs before my 1st bmw namely, s2r, 749 and 1098. i had to sell my 1098 due to uncomfortable riding position. but looking back if I did not buy this k12r just 2 months before we got the streetfighter i would have gotten the SF. and would never look back. the hesitation at lower RPM's can be remedied by a decent tech and a nemesis or power commander. all my ducs gave me less headaches and other electrical gremlins than my k12r. so i could be the exception.
I've read on the Ducati forums that the hesitation in the SF has been solved and the dealers in NA are getting the updates now. :clap:

True?

Mack

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a point here fellas about air cooled Ducatis since Monsters have been mentioned - These little blighters get really really hot in warm conditions and slow/heavy traffic. I got stuck in these conditions in Budapest and the engine got so hot, apart from cooking my legs it boiled the clutch fluid and the clutch lever came right back to the bar and stopped working and for the rest of the trip tick over vanished. Not nice. I won't be back on air cooled Ducati v twins ever again - water cooled Ducatis? Now that's a different matter!

·
Registered
90 Posts
alanp said:
Just a point here fellas about air cooled Ducatis since Monsters have been mentioned - These little blighters get really really hot in warm conditions and slow/heavy traffic. I got stuck in these conditions in Budapest and the engine got so hot, apart from cooking my legs it boiled the clutch fluid and the clutch lever came right back to the bar and stopped working and for the rest of the trip tick over vanished. Not nice. I won't be back on air cooled Ducati v twins ever again - water cooled Ducatis? Now that's a different matter!
The S2R line has an oil cooler which seems to help quite a bit. The S4R is liquid cooled. There are the new 696 and 1100 Monsters, but I'm trying to forget they exist.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts