BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us use lawn and garden U1R tractor batteries for more amps and to save money, but the Miata battery is the same case.

Anyone ever use one? There's a little wrangling with the terminals, but not insurmountable.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't see why not. Same battery than the early Ks on the R100GSs and that's what is in my garden tractor the battery from a GS. :teeth

Reminds me that when I looked into the Odissey PC680 for my K1200RS I found quite a few links on them being used in Miatas. Smaller than yours the K1200RS battery and a PC680 in a Miata....must look pretty small. :teeth But works from what I read then.

Do you just happen to have a Miata around to take the battery??? I'd certainly do that. :teeth If not I'd look for a specific listing for the Ks,they are out there and easier to work out the A/h.

Seriously, anything with enough Amps will work. Rode a few weeks with a large car battery strapped to the rack on the old GS and some "custom" wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
H96669 said:
I don't see why not. Same battery than the early Ks on the R100GSs and that's what is in my garden tractor the battery from a GS. :teeth

Reminds me that when I looked into the Odissey PC680 for my K1200RS I found quite a few links on them being used in Miatas. Smaller than yours the K1200RS battery and a PC680 in a Miata....must look pretty small. :teeth But works from what I read then.

Do you just happen to have a Miata around to take the battery??? I'd certainly do that. :teeth If not I'd look for a specific listing for the Ks,they are out there and easier to work out the A/h.
Thanks for the response.

I stopped into the auto parts store and saw a Miata battery close to the U1R and started measuring. Car batteries are preferable, as they have much longer warranties than bike batteries.

It's a small matter to rig appropriate connectors; my worry is whether the K100 alternator can keep a charge up in a car battery, albeit a small one.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You'll be fine with the alternator thing. Sure will keep up. :clap: Amps are good,the more the better, will just take longer for the alternator to recharge the battery if you let it go down. But again all depends on the ratings of the batteries.

Don't know if the Miata is top post??? If so and there is room you can drill/tap and thread into the posts and maybe use the OEM connectors. Just what I did when I rode around with the car battery on the GS, drilled and tapped. Just checked, I still have that battery...800cca good old Sears Diehard and no problems with even the notoriously wimpy alternator on the BMW Rs.

We had half a dozen batteries in the box of the shop truck back then all connected together,lots of jumpstarting "service calls" in the winter, never had to put them on the charger all seemed to be kept topped up well enough by AC Delco. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts