BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the info display on the Prius, which usually shows 43.8 MPG over it's 52K mile history, has suddenly dropped to an average of 38 MPG and the fuel price has skyrocketed too (It was $4.79 per gallon in West Covina, CA the past weekend.). Leno said it was $4.50 near his house. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes over $5 for the first time this May or so.

I don't know if CA moved to E-10 fuel which is supposedly less BTU than E-10, or no E at all. Just seems odd that the MPG drops a lot and the price rockets up.

Need to watch my bikes as one loop will kick the yellow "Reserve warning light" on on the S1000RR when nearing home. It might kick on far sooner (or jsut run out) if they are monkeying around with the gas formula since the beginning of the year.

I did note the Yamaha dealer's "E-free" racing fuel is $13 gallon now. Yipes!

Mack

·
Registered
420 Posts
You guys are kidding me! Thats cheap as chips! :rotf: In New Zealand we pay 2.25 a litre for premium (98 ron) and at 3.78 litres to the US gallon, thats 8.50 we pay for a gallon of gas :yeow: I payed 40 bucks for a tank full, for the first time, last week :( :( :(

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
I'm on the samwe tank of gas I put in the bike last Fall after I had the sneurysm.

I'm hopint to get the bik out later thids summer.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
I'm on the same tank of gas I put in the bike last Fall after I had the aneurysm.

I'm hopin to get the bike out later thid summer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I have noticed a drop of about 1.5 mpg on the bike as well as the car. That is something that seems to happen each winter. Colder denser air and /or some changes for more oxygenated fuels here I think.

NCS

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fuel

$5.52 per US Gallon locally here in Australia.Wait till they start throwing petrol bombs in Saudi Arabia ! We will all be walking !
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oregon has had E-10 for quite some time, one or two years. I noticed a 20% drop in fuel economy after it. Several local stations have no E super as allowed by law, for boats, mowers and hummm motorcycles, noticed a +20% gain in mileage when using it. More gas, more pollution, makes no sense to me

·
Registered
132 Posts
Prius mileage

The OP mentioned a big difference in the Prius mileage.
There is likely something more sinister at work here. I've heard (from a reliable source) that Toyota is installing new software on any maintenance visit. The reason? The batteries were not lasting as long as projected (and remember, they are warranted for 8 years). So instead of replacing batteries under warranty, Toyota is installing new software that relies less heavily on the batteries..i.e., more time with the gas motor running. 4-5 mpg difference seems to be common. I have not had mine in to the dealer in a while, but when it does go in, I will insist on leaving the software the way it is.

·
Registered
420 Posts
NCStephen said:
Yeah I have noticed a drop of about 1.5 mpg on the bike as well as the car. That is something that seems to happen each winter. Colder denser air and /or some changes for more oxygenated fuels here I think.

NCS
I think you will find that you should get better fuel economy on colder days as fuel is sold by volume, not weight. As the day warms, so the fuel slowly expands. We see this with our overflow tubes when we fill a hot bike to the brim and let it sit for a few minutes. Same goes for the tanks in the ground (although they do take a while to heat up). Which begs the question, if the fuel in the delivery transport is warm, and it is dispensed in volume, once it cools overnight in the underground tank, the proprieter ends up with less fuel :dunno: Anyway, it is considered better to fuel in the morning before riding, rather than late on a hot afternoon the day before. Food for thought :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Around SoCal I have noticed that cheap gas or O2 / Eth stuff hurt milage and power.
Plus the bike gets cranky for about half a tank after I fill back up with good 91 octane...

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
I think you will find that you should get better fuel economy on colder days as fuel is sold by volume, not weight. As the day warms, so the fuel slowly expands. We see this with our overflow tubes when we fill a hot bike to the brim and let it sit for a few minutes. Same goes for the tanks in the ground (although they do take a while to heat up). Which begs the question, if the fuel in the delivery transport is warm, and it is dispensed in volume, once it cools overnight in the underground tank, the proprieter ends up with less fuel :dunno: Anyway, it is considered better to fuel in the morning before riding, rather than late on a hot afternoon the day before. Food for thought :D
True, but only if the pump is not temperature compensated. Temperature compensated pumps are typically found in the northern tier of states (USA) and Canada, where it is advantageous for the fuel supplier, but not in the South, where it might be advantageous for the consumer.

In a fairly recent class action lawsuit, Costco agreed to an expensive retrofit of their fuel pumps with temperature compensation devices in a list of designated (mostly southern tier) states over a period of five years.

(Costco also paid millions of dollars in attorney's fees to the extortionists ... err ... attorneys who brought the lawsuit. No credit or compensation was given to any Costco customers who were in the original class and who have been overpaying for fuel in those designated states for many years. The three representative plaintiffs got $2,500 each.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts