BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the mod as posted on the pirates how to page? I wear a size 13 shoe and I have trouble getting my big foot under the shifter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
shift mod

dunno about pirate's solution, but i simply took a dremel cutter and cut the stop making the shifter adjustable 360 degrees. very simple, and very effective.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I looked at cutting the stop too, but don't you guys also have that hard to see and hard to get at adjustable rod behind the muffler? That thing is a real pain to get at because of the weird clips locking it in place ,and the muffler shield you have to remove, but once in there you can adjust the shifter up and down quite a lot.
And lucky for me, I had a spare clip from my old GS, because one went flying,never to be seen again.....! :confused:

The little ball joints are a lube point, mines were full of crud,one of the foam protector was worn out, and the ball joints were also out of line, shifting wasn't smooth at all because of that, to the point of almost locking the shifter.....not good for the tranny....! :(

Also the booth part of the shifter comes out, and there is a couple more parts under it that can use cleaning and lube....! I did not even like the play in the booth so stuck a piece of clear vinyl tubing over it, a little wider than the rubber, gives me some extra contact between my boots and the shifter.
And the pivot at the top, also a lube point, and could be shimmed better to remove side play, easy enough to do.

Cheap maintenance and mods, but sure made a big difference in the shifting!
Now I can preload and quickshift and......... :yeah: :bmw:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Haven't been on here in awhile, but yes shotgun, I did the mod and love it, sporting size 14's (!) myself.
I did it about three years ago , adjusted it by removing a little at a time off the 'nub' the Pirate has you grind down, and haven't touched it since. Perfect. Doug

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did mine a year ago and it was one of the best mods I did for the bike. It seems like it shifts even better than it did before. You barely have to tap the shifter to change gears. I love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts