BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are ugly, but someone I know swears by Airhawks for he and his rider on their ST1100. I have the usual uncomfortable seats on my K1300GT and wondered if Airhawks might be an alternative to the much more expensive approach of new saddles?

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
I used it for awhile on my 1200GT and liked it until I sprung for a custom seat by Rich Mayer.It is a great alternative to the harder seat on the GT.

·
Let's Ride
218 Posts
Yes, great inexpensive alternative to a custom seat. I did my first 1k iron butt with a Airhawk. The trick is to put in as little air as you can to get the job done. I now have a Kon Tour seat that I love.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had one I used on my Wing. The problem with the Airhawk is that it sits you a little higher on the bike, and you move around a little more during starts/stops due to the air pillow. I prefer a solid feeling under me, so I bought a Russell Day-Long.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I use an Alaskan Sheepskin, and it works pretty well. Never tried the Airhawk because I didn't like the looks of it, although I know that after 300 or 400 miles, looks don't count for much anymore. My son and I just got back from a trip, and the first morning he was already sore, so we stopped in Las Vegas and went through three bike shops before we found a gell cushion which he swears by now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"I use an Alaskan Sheepskin, and it works pretty well."

+1, what Chuck said. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Stock seat 100-150 miles.
Sheepskin 150-250.
Sheepskin over airhawk for 1500 mile weekends, 2 up.

Use just enough air, too much isn't good.
The sheepskin keeps the sirhawk in place.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Buddy had an A-H on his Gold Wing. It leaked twice around the filler nozzle in one year. They replaced it twice. The third time it leaked they said "Tough!" and didn't replace or offer to fix it. He said "It behaved just like his inflatable wife" of which his real wife never found amusing. He was sort of heavy at 220+ pounds and a bit short too.

Think of it as a Band-Aid fix for a bad seat which you might want to consider doing instead, like a Russell Day-Long Saddle or something similar.

Mack

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had one for years. The first one I had developed a leak after a while. I contacted the Belleville office of Air Hawk and got satisfaction and then bought a newer model with larger air pockets. I consider it a good alternative to an expensive aftermarket seat. I now have a Sargent Seat and don't use it because I don't need it. However, if I ever was going to ride on a stock seat very far, I would make sure I used my Air Hawk seat pad.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here is another option. I have a Freedom Air that I used with my stock seats on long rides. I'm getting a Russell so I probably won't use it anymore, but it worked great when I needed it. I'm not sure of their actual website, but here is a place that sells them. They do come with a black cover with a non-slip bottom. Two air valves and variable height air pockets. Good stuff!

http://www.rehabmart.com/product/17184.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts