BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking about picking up a Aeroflow Windscreen Touring model for my GT. Currently am running a Cee Bailey +4, but I would like some extra protection. Anyone have one on their bike and what is your experience with it?

I am also running Suburban II Barbacks on my GT. I saw on the Aeroflow web site that you can use the screen but it has to be cut for the barbacks. Anyone have this set up and how does it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hanshi

I've noticed many of your posts and pictures during the last year or so and I seem to remember that you were quite satisfied with the Cee Bailey +4. What has changed?

I've got the Aeroflow on my GT (both standard and tall touring) and will respond in detail when time allows.

DMilan
'04GT
'05GS

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the standard on my 98 RS. Love/hate thing. Love how it works,hate how it looks.Wish I would have got the plus 4 incher tho.I ride with it in the up position all the time. I have barbacks on mine, not sure what brand, just 30mm blocks I think,no clearance problems.Manual said not to exceed 80mph with it on, but in down position I have hit 130 a few times.I didnt like the idea of putting sticky pads on my fairing either, something keeps telling me when I need to remove them some paint will come with them.Also your local hardware store carries the pads in a clear as the black in the kit stand out a bit visually.A lot cleaner air, little helmet noise,warmer hands,I may be better looking and the g/f seems to smile more.Also my blood pressure is lower, the warts I had are gone and John Holmes' ex wife is now calling me.Overall I'm pleased with product.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DMilan said:
Hanshi

I've noticed many of your posts and pictures during the last year or so and I seem to remember that you were quite satisfied with the Cee Bailey +4. What has changed?

I've got the Aeroflow on my GT (both standard and tall touring) and will respond in detail when time allows.

DMilan
'04GT
'05GS
I recently had my Gt in for service and the dealer gave me a new K1200LT for a loner for a couple of days. I really liked the protection the big windscreen provided. With the screen up it provided a extreemly quiet riding environment with no buffering. The CB Windscreen does not do this for me as it is cut along the sides. I just thought that I would look into the Aeroflow screen as it is a fuller cut. Really did not realize the difference a fuller cut screen could make until I ran the LT those couple of days. It is really a great touring bike. I have to admit that for normal riding however I still like my GT for its speed and handling.

Talked with the Aeroflow people and they indicated that they could fit me out with a tall screen cut for my suburban II barbacks. but before I put down the $$$ I wanted to see what others had to say about their experiences with the screen. If I get one I will put the CB up for sale.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Aeroflow

I had an aeroflow on my K100RS and loved the extra protection. At the time, it was possible to order a blem at a lower cost. I couldn't tell the difference, but thought it was a good deal. Do they still sell those blems? I'd like to hear any more feedback on Aeroflows....have heard some bad some time ago on the old forum. I tried the Laminar lip and it just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the tall Aeroflow on my RS and am quite satisfied. Certainly not quiet, but the buffeting is minimized. I've had stock standard and comfort screens and a Cee Bailey in the past, but Aeroflow is by far the best. Also, the biz. owner is a nice guy and will talk about blems if you call. If you're in so. Calif, they're in Anaheim, just down the street from Stig Peterson, the Ohlin's repair guy. The Aeroflow is a great, carefully thought-out product.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hanshi said:
I recently had my Gt in for service and the dealer gave me a new K1200LT for a loner for a couple of days. I really liked the protection the big windscreen provided. With the screen up it provided a extreemly quiet riding environment with no buffering. The CB Windscreen does not do this for me as it is cut along the sides. I just thought that I would look into the Aeroflow screen as it is a fuller cut. Really did not realize the difference a fuller cut screen could make until I ran the LT those couple of days. It is really a great touring bike. I have to admit that for normal riding however I still like my GT for its speed and handling.

Talked with the Aeroflow people and they indicated that they could fit me out with a tall screen cut for my suburban II barbacks. but before I put down the $$$ I wanted to see what others had to say about their experiences with the screen. If I get one I will put the CB up for sale.

Hanshi

I purchased my GT in November '04

The bike needed some pruning to suit my tastes.
Way too much wind noise (even with ear plugs) and for me desperately in need of barbacks.

First step was to purchase a used Aeroflow Standard Height Touring Screen set-up.
FYI - I ride with the seat in the low position. With the Standard Height Touring Screen in the full up position the reduction in wind noise was very noticeable but insufficient.

Next step. I found a used Aeroflow Tall Touring Screen for sale (plastic only) which would bolt up to my existing Aeroflow bracketry.

AHHHH, nearly perfect now in reducing the wind noise.

Next step was bar-backs. Mine are the Suburban Type 1. Another great improvement in my comfort on the GT. I had tried to tough it out with the standard bars but even with Master Yoda Position, it wasn't happening.

Trouble now. The bar-backs raised my head up in relation to the top of the screen by an inch or so and the Tall Height Aeroflow Touring isn't enough any more. NUTS

Next step.
I purchased a used seat from an '02 RS. The RS seat has less padding than the GT comfort seat and the reduction in height brought me back down a bit and out of the heavy air-flow that is responsible for my wind noise complaints. AHHH....

Next step. A beaded cover really helps with the the comfort level on the stock RS seat and doesn't add too much height.

To wrap it up..

The good:
For me, the Aeroflow Tall Touring Screen when combined with a RS seat gives me very good protection from wind noise and weather related discomforts. However, it probably is not the equal of an LT, Gold Wing or even an RT.
I think the wide base of the screen makes it look more planted on the bike.

The not so good:
When in the up position the screen rattles around a lot on bumpy roads. Sort of kludgy hardware. washers, screws and such. The screen's overlap onto the GT add-on wind deflectors require little rubber bumpers to keep the screen from contacting the painted parts. The look is not so good. Also the contour of the screen does not blend well with contour of the painted wind deflectors.

Regarding the bar-back cut-outs... I made my own with a rotozip and a palm sander. I might take the same approach to the contours mentioned in the prior paragraph.

I've purchased but have yet to install a used Cee Bailey +4.. As soon as the weather cooperates I'll have a comparison of the 2 to report.

I'm considering opening a GT Boutique.

I've got the stock screen, the 2 Aeroflows, and the Cee Bailey. Also on hand is the stock GT seat, the '02 RS seat, a brand new Sargent that I have not tried yet(got a great deal on this one), and a used Corbin that I have not tried yet.

Very last thoughts...

Overall, I'm pretty content with the Aeroflow. I'd sell the machine if all I had was the stock set-up.
Since you have the Suburban Type 2 barbacks your head/helmet may be positioned even slightly higher than mine (and in the air-flow).
If you go with the Aeroflow, (IMO) get the tall. Paige, the owner of A-F advised me to do this and in retrospect he was right. Speaking of the owner, (FWIW) he has been helpful and willing to spend time with me on the telephone..

DMilan

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DMilan:

Thank you for your inputs and observations.

From my observation, I've found the CB+4 to be rather stable even in full up position. As previously noted my concern was the lack of hand protection due to the barbacks making the stock "hand protectors" too low to have any impact. Thus the wider AF screen might give me the extra hand protection I desire. If the overall wind protection is equal to or slightly better than the CB, I would be happy if my hands were also better protected. I like to ride all year long (when no snow or ice out) and I really have not been able to get into the heated gloves as they are ok for longer trips, but a PITA for short trips.

Again DMilan, thanks for the information.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I made the jump and ordered my new AeroFlow Windscreen. Expect to receive it this week and have in on for the weekend. Will advise when I get some riding time with it.

Again, thanks for all of the inputs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aeroflow

HI

I've used an Aeroflow (tall version - I'm 5'11'') with the AeroGuards for 3500 K.

I don't get buffeting at all - doesn't matter what speed or how windy. I ride with it almost all the way down and can see over the top easily. I haven't ridden it in rain, so I can't speak to that issue.

It's easy to clean. I'm very glad I have it. I had a CBailey on a 1200 R and had a lot of buffetting.

You get what you pay for with Aeroflow.

HOPe that helps.

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
JOkes on me!

Ha.... 3 yrs old :) I should learn how to read the dates on posts! No matter, someone else will read this and hopefully benefit from my opinion ...

Thanks for letting me know I'm only 'slightly' out of touch :)

B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts