BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought Arwen. A black 2003 K1200RS. It was my son’s idea. 40 years back I rode a R80G/S all over Africa for 7 years & he knew of my youthful adventures. I lost my wife in 2022 & he asked “why don’t you buy a BMW?” I live in a tiny country, where if you drive 200 miles you’re in a different one, so a vintage Triumph is more than adequate. I ride a 73 Bonnie as my daily transport.
He said, “not there, for America!” He lives in AZ. So with help from my boys I became proud owner of a cosmetically immaculate BMW sports tourer. The $’s are the easy bit, because many Americans want rid of old toys, to make room for new ones & the asking prices are low.
The first day I got to CA (where Arwen was being stored) & rode to AZ the next morning (450 mile trip). Incredible. Smooth, fast, comfortable, never had such a bike in 48 years of riding. 2 days later I rode back for Thanksgiving.
A week later I was back in AZ. The bike is staggering, it just eats miles. Then it was time for a major service, which took me over a week (never worked on a K series before). Brakes/clutch fluids got flushed, including ABS unit, fuel system serviced, cannisterectomy conducted (& carbon washed out of fuel tank) cooling system serviced, all lubes & filters changed, plus valve gaps checked, to be found completely within spec. Brilliant, she’s ready.

In July an epic ride will start AZ, UT, WY, SD MN, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. Then south to VA (with a detour to Niagara Falls probably) to catch the Amtrak motor train to FL, where Arwen can rest until 2024. We’ll play again next year.

I’ve never experienced what a modern motorcycle (20 years old!) can do & it’s incredible. America has become my new playground with 500 mile days easily achieved.
It’s staggeringly fast (for me, accustomed to 50hp) smooth as silk, unbelievably comfortable, incredible luggage capacity, reliable (even when the previous owner didn’t do service items for over 16 years!) remarkably easy to work on, economical & cheap to buy! So you lucky lot, that knew all this already, I’m a new K series disciple. Amazing machine. Happy miles.

Arwen’s rider.

· Registered
K1200RS
72 Posts
Glad to see you back. I was writing a response when your post disappeared.

I hear what you say about the K1200’s. After riding Kawasakis and Harleys for nearly 50 years in the U.S. and Oz, my K1200 was an eye-opener. 130hp, cruise, ABS power brakes, bags and trunk, and heated grips - what a difference. To me, it’s the perfect bike. The only improvements I’ve made are a heated seat from a K12GT and bar extensions to allow a more upright riding position.

One suggestion, think about riding the Blue Ridge Parkway through NC. It’s not fast but the scenery is beautifuL. While you’re in NC, ride the Tail of the Dragon in Deal’s Gap, NC. I think it’s the BEST motorcycle road in the world.

Ride safe.

Reactions: WPV

· Premium Member
75 Posts

· Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
345 Posts
I have topo maps of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. That area is filled with great rides, some as good as the tail (in my opinion) but not as well publicized. Do the tail late in the season. We had very little traffic.

· Registered
K1200RS
72 Posts
...and there's a great motorcycle museum (Wheels Through Time) in Maggie Valley, NC, about 30 mile west of Ashville. Worth the detour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts