BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought Arwen. A black 2003 K1200RS. It was my son’s idea. 40 years back I rode a R80G/S all over Africa for 7 years & he knew of my youthful adventures. I lost my wife in 2022 & he asked “why don’t you buy a BMW?” I live in a tiny country, where if you drive 200 miles you’re in a different one, so a vintage Triumph is more than adequate. I ride a 73 Bonnie as my daily transport.
He said, “not there, for America!” He lives in AZ. So with help from my boys I became proud owner of a cosmetically immaculate BMW sports tourer. The $’s are the easy bit, because many Americans want rid of old toys, to make room for new ones & the asking prices are low.
The first day I got to CA (where Arwen was being stored) & rode to AZ the next morning (450 mile trip). Incredible. Smooth, fast, comfortable, never had such a bike in 48 years of riding. 2 days later I rode back for Thanksgiving.
A week later I was back in AZ. The bike is staggering, it just eats miles. Then it was time for a major service, which took me over a week (never worked on a K series before). Brakes/clutch fluids go flushed, including ABS unit, fuel system serviced, cannisterectomy conducted (& carbon washed out of fuel tank) cooling system serviced, all lubes & filters changed, plus valve gaps checked, to be found completely within spec. Brilliant, she’s ready.

In July an epic ride will start AZ, UT, WY, SD MN, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. Then south to VA (with a detour to Niagara Falls probably) to catch the Amtrak motor train to FL, where Arwen can rest until 2024. We’ll play again next year.

I’ve never experienced what a modern motorcycle (20 years old!) can do & it’s incredible. America has become my new playground with 500 mile days easily achieved.
It’s staggeringly fast (for me, accustomed to 50hp) smooth as silk, unbelievably comfortable, incredible luggage capacity, reliable (even when the previous owner didn’t do service items for over 16 years!) remarkably easy to work on, economical & cheap to buy! So you lucky lot, that knew all this already, I’m a new K series disciple. Amazing machine. Happy miles.
Arwen’s rider.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

· Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,553 Posts
What a great tale. I appreciate you sharing with us. I have owned three of these bikes and they are a smooth locomotive on the highway. You rode it like it was designed for, the road going places. Best of luck and if you need tires (contact me for on line good sources for tires to ship to my place, many folks do) in the Seattle area, you can have them pre shipped here I'll install them, check your bike, change oil if needed and go to lunch with you.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a great tale. I appreciate you sharing with us. I have owned three of these bikes and they are a smooth locomotive on the highway. You rode it like it was designed for, the road going places. Best of luck and if you need tires (contact me for on line good sources for tires to ship to my place, many folks do) in the Seattle area, you can have them pre shipped here I'll install them, check your bike, change oil if needed and go to lunch with you.
Only roads now. Years past I’d enjoy dirt, gravel, sand, anything, but the years catch up.
I’ll definitely need tires often, based on stories a set usually lasts less than 10K. The bike is bigger, heavier & faster than anything I’ve ridden before. I’m entering a new world of motorcycling, that for many here has been familiar territory for years.
However Seattle isn’t on the 2023 agenda. Stands a chance in 2024. Hopefully see you then.
Arwen’s Rider

1 - 3 of 3 Posts