BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way gives you more gas in the tank? My fuel light comes on after 100 miles or so, which leads me to believe that I'm not getting enough in by fueling on the sidestand. Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My fuel warning light used to come on after 100 miles as well. When I groused about this to me Service Team they adjusted it for free. Now the warning light comes on when I hit a 1/4 tank. I can not imagine that you will get noticeably more per tankful filling it up on the center stand vs the side stand? I guess one could do the math by comparing the volume lost associated with the side stand angle but that is not going to be an extra gallon. If it is less than that then you're talking about 15 or so extra miles?
Get the fuel warning light calibrated to your spec and this problem goes away?
Hope that helped.
MG

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sidestand or Center Stand

You say your fuel light comes on around 100 miles. Have your dealer re-program that setting..let say 4.5 gallons..which should take you about 175 miles @ roughly 70 mph +/-. Should give you approx .5 gallons +/- of reserve(usable).

To answer your question..I fill up on the center stand

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. So if the light is coming on at 100 miles, I still have another 75 to go, give or take? That's a relief. I was panicking once the light came on, rushing for the first gas station. As long as I know a fuel range I should be fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Centerstand or Sidestand

My experience is that I can get a little more gas in the tank with the bike on the centerstand.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
fuel warning light

I always fill on the center stand by the way. My dealer Bloodworth in Nashville Tn. said the easiest way way to set the fuel guage is to come in with exactly how many miles on a full tank you want it to come on. I filled up than rode for 175 miles before I pulled in their drive, it was a ten minute job for them to hook up and reflash whatever they needed to do to set it. Comes on at 175 every time now, or to be honest rarely comes on as I fill around 150-160 anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
diggitydogg said:
Which way gives you more gas in the tank? My fuel light comes on after 100 miles or so, which leads me to believe that I'm not getting enough in by fueling on the sidestand. Thanks.
I had the tank off a while back, when I was doing some electrical gizmo work, I did the modification to the neck. If you widen the bottom hole and cut a slot up the side, you can more easily get more gas in the tank. Since then, I've gotten another 20 miles between fill-ups.

Granted, it's not great, but I get 150 miles to near-fumes. By 160 miles at the latest, I'm putting in over 19 liters. Much further, and I'll be a pedestrian - which hasn't happened yet.

Now, I'm somewhat heavy on the throttle. 90% of the days I ride, I hit 100mph (legally mind you).

But, to sorta answer your question - I always fuel with the bike fully upright. I stop, kick the sidestand down, roll forward against the gear, open the tank cap, reach over to the nozzle, fill tank to 3/4" - 1" from the very top of the opening below the ring, close the cap, put the nozzle back, ensure the bike is fully forward against the gear, re-kick the sidestand forward, lean onto sidestand, then dismount and pay the attendant.

That's only a "sorta" answer, because I can't remember ever filling up a bike with a center fill cap, by putting the bike on the sidestand.

I do put my F650GS on the sidestand, but the fill cap is on the right rear of the bike.

Matt McCabe
USAF - Germany

·
Registered
346 Posts
Straddle

I usually pull up close enough to the pump to remain on the bike and therefore I am straddle of the awesome machine..

·
Registered
848 Posts
think differently

Forget the stand business. Get your tank light re-calibrated. Should be a no coster to you if you are under warrantee. Mine was.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Center stand every time. I'm not 100% positive that you get more fuel, bit it seems logical.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much do you put in when you fill up the tank? You should be able to put in 5 gallons with 2/10th's reserve (kind of tight, yeah...). Website for BMW says 5.4 gallons U.S. (21 liters), 1 gallon (about 4 liters) reserve.
I had mine set to 4 liters (only because that's the only graduated cylinder for gas they had) and the reserve light comes on at 155 miles approximately. As always, YMMV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
935 Posts
My suggestion, if you really want to make sure the air is eliminated and the max amount of fuel can be put in the tank, is to stay seated on the bike - and then slosh the fuel around the tank by rocking the K to make sure it is topped off and eliminate all of the air pockets. The air pockets in the tank can still exist even after the bike is fueled while on the center stand.

dez

·
Registered
489 Posts
If I recall correctly I filled the bike on the sidestand and then put it on the center stand to see if/how much more gas I could get into the tank. I could only get .2 gallon additional gas into the tank. At 35 mpg that would be 7 additional miles.

My light comes on about 165 miles, if I fill up after traveling a few miles I'll put in about 4.5 gallons. I can usually count on 30 miles after the light comes on, so I usually can count on 185-195 miles before going dry. I'm guessing that the light is coming on at about 4.3 gallons which is very near what the book says. My needle will go below the 0 on the fuel guage and I have put in almost 5.2 gallons when the needle is below the 0.

I can tell you this, once after filling up and getting on the interstate my friend and I found a Suburban in the left lane cruising at 120-125 mph. Of course we let him pass us and decided to follow about 1/4 mile back in the left lane. I was ready to cry an hour later when my fuel light came on at 135 miles, we covered a lot of ground in that hour.

Now I look for pay at the pump and fill-up without getting off the bike. Even on a hot day it's quick enough that I can wait until I'm finished before moving to another spot and taking a break.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As others have replied, your fuel light should come on at about 175 miles. This can be adjusted. I refuel every night, due to a 120 mile R/T commute. I do it while sitting on the machine, which I find very fast and convenient. Never had a problem and gone in about 2 min.

·
Registered
969 Posts
try both

Fill it up on the side stand and notice the level of the fuel, hand the gas hose to someone, put the bike on the center stand and see if you can get more gas in the tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use the centerstand to refuel for safety's sake. Maybe you've never had a BMW sidestand fold up on you, but I have. The worst case senario would be a sidestand foldup while refueling. Can you say "disaster". I bet you can. The next disaster is refueling while straddleing your motorcycle. Yes it happend to me . The fuel nozzel did not shut off when full . Gasoline on your bikes tank is bad enough,but gasoline on your groin is a painful experiance. Not to mention that gasoline can ruin a pair of Joe Rocket trousers. Be smart be safe refuel your K-bike on it's centerstand.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great advice windy, the few seconds you can save staying on the bike isn't worth a lap full of gas. I use the center stand when filling up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A note of caution

You guys who straddle during refueling need to be cautious. Riders have been burned when an overfill or spill occured and a fire started, engine off or not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For safety's sake use the centerstand. sidestands do flip up,you don't want that while refueling. I used to sit on my bike while refueling,until agasoline nozzel did not shut off. the GT got soaked,my crotch got soaked.......... I'll never do that again. Think safety, refuel on the centerstand and don't sit on the bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts