BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the proper way to pull over when the dreaded lights are in your mirror? I pull over in the first clear area big enough for us both to fit, get off bike, face officer, if he isnt out of the car yet I ( with two fingers and great care) take my wallet out and lay it on the seat. I tell my passenger to keep facing the officer and keep their hands in plain sight, while I do the same.I keep my wallet in my hip pocket or inside jacket pocket, had LEO grab his gun one time when I reached for my wallet.If the officer is out of the car, I stand with hands in view. facing him. I tell him where my wallet is before reaching for it, and turn slightly so he can see what I'm doing.I do not argue or give anymore info regarding the alleged crime than I have to.By that I mean I do not admit to anything but am polite and answer all other questions like where I'm going, etc.Am I over doing it? Or should I be doing something else?I want to make the traffic stop as pleasant for both of us and I dont want to be the next Rodney King.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jim,
Luckily for me I haven't had to do this for a while(knock on wood). I attribute part of the reason being my radar detector, but that is for another thread( and I don't usually elude the LEO, sorry). I typically pull over and remove my helmet and sit on the bike and wait to see what Mr. LEO says. I too am polite and as honest as I can be without incriminating myself. I have a bunch of vehicles registered so I fumble through my registrations and proofs of insurance until I find the right one. I think having a CDL may help, I'm not sure why. Just my .02.
Why do you ask. Are you riding again and got pulled over?
Cheers

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Why are you asking? Did you just have a bad experience?

Personally - and not meaning to be insulting - I think you're overdoing. I like Jeff's attitude. Back in the days when I was in a black and white, I would have appreciated a biker who just pulled over in a safe spot, took his helmet off, and sat on his bike with his hands in a relaxed position, waiting for me to come up and chat.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be I'm over doing it, but had several bad experiences as a youth.Small redneck town, most deputies were related.Had my face smashed into car hood once for a speeding ticket along with a backhand.Was pulled over and searched 3 times one night by same cop, all in less then 20 minutes.
We have a local town cop, acually a dam good cop and a nice guy.But was shot a few years ago,3 times by a 44 mag at close range, very horribly wounded. Took almost a year before he was back at work. Always wondered what was going thru his mind on his first traffic stop.And what would happen if I was it and reached in my inside jacket pocket for my wallet.
Between bad cops and good ones with a bad day, just wanted to know what most officers like to see when they hit the lights.
Last two years been stopped twice by the above officer, both times I was in the wrong and he was very polite and professional. Last time on the RS we chatted a bit about his time as a bike cop in Mesa. Our local police dept has been very good for many years as is the Highway Patrol, Sheriffs Office still kinda hits and misses tho.SO is under staffed and over worked, I think sometimes it comes thru in their work. I filled a complaint against one deputy several years ago for threatening employees and customers, a few weeks later the complaint was "lost".Still looking for it I guess.
So ya, I do have a cold sweat start, and my heart speeds up a bit when I stopped.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've had 3 cops pull their guns on me before...I think it all depends on how you look. They look at me and think I'm a badass...guess they get scared and go for their weapons.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do it like Jeff. I take off the helmet and relax my hands at my side with the bike off. I dont turn and let them approach and they usually give directions. I have had only one bad situation and that was in a car. I was alking to the officer at the drivers window and did not see the rookie at the passenger window. When I explained my intention to reach for my glove box the rookie did not hear the communication and the gun came in the window when I reached for the glove box. The Sr officer talked very calmly and had the rookie go back to the car. Needless to say he let me go and I did not file a complaint. I think we all learned alot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Former LEO here...

First off, give the officer an indication that you know that he has your attention. Then find a wide spot that's not too far away.

Get off the bike slowly and remove your helmet (it's a weapon when its on your head or in your hand). Put the helmet down somewhere and wait for instructions.

Keep your hands in plain view all the time.

Relax. I know it's hard to do but take a deep breath. Unless you got a real gomer for a cop there should be very little tension.

Be truthful.

If (as I do), you are carrying a gun, tell the officer that you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and tell him where it is (mine is in my tankbag). Once he runs your name through the computer it will spit out that you have a permit. I found that it was better if the offender told me up front.

I've been pulled over a half-dozen times since I quit the sheriff's office and have only received one citation (and that was from a prick... and I was in a cage). Your attitude is usually the deciding factor (IMAO).

BTW, I never mention my former LEO status. That does not usually impress them :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad to know I'm not the only one that has had less then perfect experiences!

·
Registered
118 Posts
sportrider said:
I've had 3 cops pull their guns on me before...I think it all depends on how you look. They look at me and think I'm a badass...guess they get scared and go for their weapons.
Damn it! I have never had a gun pulled on me while pulled over... guess they think I am a P#$$&!

Thanks a lot dude!

·
Registered
240 Posts
As an LEO for almost 28 years, Only 74 days until retirement, Stop in a safe place, like a parking lot or a side street if you are on a busy street. Just sit on your bike, and turn the engine off. No sudden moves, keep hands visible, AND BE NICE! I'm much more apt to give someone a warning if they are nice. But when you say, what the F--- did you stop me for, you can rest assured you'll be getting at least one ticket. As far as being worked over and harassed, that went out with the 70's, I also realize there are some real pricks in uniforms, and you are going to run into those bad apples occasionally. But please don't judge all officers by the Prick that you met. There are bad apples in every profession.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
On another forum, this has come up and the local LEO's have pretty much summed it up this way (CHP, Sherriff, City Cops, etc.):

If you get lit up, pull over. Listen for instructions if any. The scenario was the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, where there is absolutely no shoulder. You stop, you block that lane. On the bridge, pull over and stop unless directed otherwise. If you keep going because you're looking for a "safe" place, he's likely thinking you're planning on making a run for it. Not always, but when you do get to your safe place, s/he's likely to be a bit (more) pissed off.

Take the helmet off, and place it on the bike, ignition turned off. Don't take the key out and put it in your pocket. Wait for the officer to make his requests if any, and tell him where your license and other paperwork is before retrieving it. Be polite and non-aggressive.

It may just get to be your lucky day...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would say Police Officers have a tough job. I have been stopped numerous times mostly speeding. During the last 10 - 15 years I have been stopped 15 - 20 times, all in my car. I have 2 tickets to show for it. Being in health profession does not hurt. I am always polite and courteous and it's 'yes sir', 'no sir', etc. I never use 'it's an emergency for me to get to the hospital' excuse, but they always see my sthetoscope. Most have been nice.

One stop was for 20+ over the limit one Sat AM. I was going to a funeral and I saw this B/W when I came over a hill. I just pulled over and waited. He checked my #s over and came back and told me to slow down. My sweet wife was more upset that I got away again. Again most PO's are nice. Thanks for the work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in a town where the police are notoriously bad tempered toward sport-bikes. Several times, friends of mine have been roughed up on the side of the road by these guys.
but, now I ride a BMW and it's as if the clouds have parted and The Great Spirit™ is smiling on me. I haven't even been pulled once.

When we ride together, they'll peel off and go around the town while I go through and meet them on the other side. Finally, profiling works FOR me!!
:hypocrite

When I do get pulled, I just turn the bike off, take off the helmet, and take off my gloves to let them know I'm not going anywhere. A lot of cops get left by the side of the road with their mouths open by sportbikers, so it's wise to let them know you aren't even thinking that. Even if you are.
And, ditto to the concealed weapon permit admission. I always mention, before they get to me, that I have a weapon on me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
cascjung said:
I would say Police Officers have a tough job. I have been stopped numerous times mostly speeding. During the last 10 - 15 years I have been stopped 15 - 20 times, all in my car. I have 2 tickets to show for it. Being in health profession does not hurt. I am always polite and courteous and it's 'yes sir', 'no sir', etc. I never use 'it's an emergency for me to get to the hospital' excuse, but they always see my sthetoscope. Most have been nice.

One stop was for 20+ over the limit one Sat AM. I was going to a funeral and I saw this B/W when I came over a hill. I just pulled over and waited. He checked my #s over and came back and told me to slow down. My sweet wife was more upset that I got away again. Again most PO's are nice. Thanks for the work.
That's a good idea, I going to drive with a sthetoscope when I'm in a hurry.... might work getting out of tickets...:D

I have nothing bad to say about LEO s stopping me. Again it's their job. More than once, I've been only given warning.....(knock on wood)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts