BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australian riders, have a look at this draft proposal Australian Road Rules General Amendments and Regulatory Impact Statement 2005 (do a search in this document on MOTOR BIKE):
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/ARRGralAmendDraftRISNov2005.pdf
Basically it proposes to make illegal lane splitting and filtering. While I think lane splitting at high speed is dangerous, filtering in peak traffic should be OK. Write your comment to let them know what you think (nicely of course):
http://www.ntc.gov.au/RFCList2004.aspx?page=A023124034004500204

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
howzat!!

I wish to comment on proposed legislation regarding lane splitting by motorcycle riders. Whilst the legislation, if enacted may be of benefit to a few, albeit the inexperienced, I believe it presents potential dangers to others. I have about 50 years experience riding motorcycles on a daily basis, many of those on police motorcycles. I find the habit of riders stopping behind stationery cars most dangerous and I try to persuade others not to do it. I split lanes. It has saved me on a number of occasions. The cars form a natural barrier between me and colliding vehicles and I find with the massive acceleration of a bike, and the reluctance of a driver to sideswipe another car, makes lane splitting a safety must. I cannot recall attending an accident involving a motorcyclist whereas lane splitting was the problem. I have an accident free/conviction free record and if I am reluctant to sit in a line of traffic as a potential target for day dreaming drivers. The real problem is that drivers knowing motorcyclists present no threat to them, they are inclined to not watch them. I strongly suggest that the amendments to the act not be tabled and the decision left to the rider who should ride according to his ability.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know the feeling about being the last in line at a stop with traffic bearing down at highway speeds, I ALWAYS make sure I am set to shoot the gap with my eye on my rearview and the bike in gear in those situations (lane splitting is not legal here in TX)

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The thing about rule making is it is easy to write down rules in pen and ink and they don't incur much in cost but diminish freedoms. The persons or departments making the rules are looking for general acceptance and credit, whilst the motorcyclists they might affect are a minority voice.

Most politicos fall over when you try to look for real justification - in this case road deaths or injuries if the rules were not introduced. So what are the stats? Of course they might just want to get bikes off the roads.

I think lane splitting and filtering is what I do out of natural preservation for my life. I want to be the only guy on the stop line, cages either side that know I'm there and I know I can beat and with nothing able to rear end me as I'm getting away first with space in front and behind.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Odd thing is that Texas (I believe) has considered allowing this practice. WA is soliciting input regarding legislation for this as well. It is a safety thing as well as a traffic congestion concern. No matter where I am, when it's a question of my life or the law, I always pick the correct action.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Razel said:
I don't understand the disadvantages with lane-splitting/filtering, other than cages who find it offensive and sometimes choose to prevent it.
I tend to agree. If they find it offensive, then they've seen you and know you are there - that's fine with me.

The next thing you know they'll ban rabbit ears and such adornments on our helmets, which some of us deliberately wear to attract attention - particularly when cage drivers are on their mobiles or chatting to their passengers oblivious to a vulnerable rider in front.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lane Spliting

Never done it, and won't start.
I've always had big (broad) bikes so that prevented me, but I really don't have a need for it. I've seen too many dick heads split dangerously, and as such, have never wanted to be classified in the same league.
I do understand the positive effects on traffic, and risk of being hit from behind. Only time I was ever hit behind, was me being the only vehicle stopped at the lights, and some old lady was playing with a dog in the front seat. Having the HD probably saved me an injury as I was only shunted across the intersection (thank god it was empty!).

Ride safe everyone.

Ken.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
baytown said:
Never done it, and won't start.
I've always had big (broad) bikes so that prevented me, but I really don't have a need for it. I've seen too many dick heads split dangerously, and as such, have never wanted to be classified in the same league.
Ken.
I agree that at high speed, lane splitting is dangerous as there is next to no margin for error (in terms of space and time). But in peak traffic, this is where is is useful due to:
1. Reduce congestion and
2. Enhance safety to riders as mentioned above,
3. Reduce heat fatigue especially in warm weather where it is fine for car drivers to sit in traffic in their air-conditioned cars, wearing singlet and shorts. Us riders have our protective clothing and helmet, sitting still under the sun for a couple of minutes is very uncomfortable let alone in traffic jam steaming with all the heat generated by surrounding cars and trucks
4. Reduce stress due to repeated stop-start actions (pulling clutches, changing gears, put foot up and down).
And in peak traffic, it is highly unlikely that car drivers would switch lanes blindly without looking in the rear view mirrors and over their shoulders anyway.

·
Registered
764 Posts
tatran said:
And in peak traffic, it is highly unlikely that car drivers would switch lanes blindly without looking in the rear view mirrors and over their shoulders anyway.
Wish that were true, but it's not. If you believe it is, you are setting yourself up.

Not only do some drivers not check for MC's, some are antagonistic and will cut a rider off on purpose - I know. If you split lanes (legal, not-illegal, illegal but tolerated, whatever), the job's yours to watch out.

I do it and will continue (illegal but sometimes tolerated in NYC), but only when I feel confident and am willing to accept the consequences if things go wrong.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
allenclarkson said:
Wish that were true, but it's not. If you believe it is, you are setting yourself up.

Not only do some drivers not check for MC's, some are antagonistic and will cut a rider off on purpose - I know. If you split lanes (legal, not-illegal, illegal but tolerated, whatever), the job's yours to watch out.

I do it and will continue (illegal but sometimes tolerated in NYC), but only when I feel confident and am willing to accept the consequences if things go wrong.
The boy is right. I have had em swerve left to get me, just dive around the other side, great acceleration the ol K. Lane splitting has saved me more than once , I think I may have spent more time in traffic than most and it is a plus. Course if you are a bit nervous about zipping down the lil white line, stay the hell out.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Thursday morning talk-shock radio in SF Bay Area

There's a local forum here in the SF Bay Area called BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum). Turns out one of the morning crew on a local radio station aired one of their "pet peeves" about motorcyclists "lane sharing" during the commute, and suggested it'd be somewhat gratifying to just pop open the door and check out the carnage. :wtf

Now, I'm sure you're used to threads that go on for a few pages, but even with my page setting of 40 per page, it's up to 24 pages. Quite a discussion. Lane sharing, being allowed in California, and an idiot radio three-some advocating the use of deadly force because it's "irritating" to be stuck in traffic and see the motorcycles go by.

Today, the main idiot approached appology but also claimed ignorance and no-bad-intentions or desire for anyone to come to harm. Small gathering this morning outside the doors, peaceful and documented by the news. Hopefully, something good comes out, but geez...let's advocate road rage.

BARF Thread

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
433 Posts
Razel said:
There's a local forum here in the SF Bay Area called BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum). Turns out one of the morning crew on a local radio station aired one of their "pet peeves" about motorcyclists "lane sharing" during the commute, and suggested it'd be somewhat gratifying to just pop open the door and check out the carnage. :wtf

Now, I'm sure you're used to threads that go on for a few pages, but even with my page setting of 40 per page, it's up to 24 pages. Quite a discussion. Lane sharing, being allowed in California, and an idiot radio three-some advocating the use of deadly force because it's "irritating" to be stuck in traffic and see the motorcycles go by.

Today, the main idiot approached appology but also claimed ignorance and no-bad-intentions or desire for anyone to come to harm. Small gathering this morning outside the doors, peaceful and documented by the news. Hopefully, something good comes out, but geez...let's advocate road rage.

BARF Thread
It's just this sort of intentional causing of harm (opening a door or more likely moving into the space I'm attempting to occupy) that keeps me from lane splitting except on rare occasion here in the NYC metropolitan area. I guess I'm not really convinced that waiting in line is more dangerous, though I'd like to believe it.

Ken

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
kencorsun said:
It's just this sort of intentional causing of harm (opening a door or more likely moving into the space I'm attempting to occupy) that keeps me from lane splitting except on rare occasion here in the NYC metropolitan area. I guess I'm not really convinced that waiting in line is more dangerous, though I'd like to believe it.

Ken

Ever tried to open a car door at 100kph? And as for doing it when you are stopped? I approach too slowly for that to be a worry. And Baytown you had better leave your bikes up on the beach, cos if you come down here to work you will get T boned by some woman doing her make up

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only lane-split occasionally and never at high speed. Too many variables. Most people in cars here in CA don't signal lane-changes at all. The onus is on you to be prepared for it. There are parameters for legal lanesharing. I believe you are not to exceed the speed of the cars by over a certain amount. Those that do are breaking the law and taking chances that I don't care to. The squids make us all look bad. It's not just the high-speed antics, but I have seen on more than one occasion a bike pulling in and out in front of vehicles with inches to spare. I would be annoyed if a car did it to me, why should they not be annoyed with the hotshot biker? When I do get a courtesy move from a vehicle (pulling over a bit to let me pass, etc.) I always make sure to give a little wave if I can do so safely. Sure they are envious that we are scooting through, but no need to be discourteous. It just feeds the roadrage. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ball bearings

allenclarkson said:
That is why you should carry ball bearings. Although, I have never used them before.

ONON-
Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts