BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is an interesting quote from a police motor officer in Manchester England. I wonder if this is an England only or world wide reaction ?

Our fleet manager has been recently shown a video of a Police motorcyclist testing out an ST1300 being followed by a Police camera car at speed but not mad speed and he said you could see the back of the bike moving from side to side more and more as it went on, they radioed the rider who was completely unaware of the movement. He said this highlighted the problems with this bike. He went on to us the following....
Although Honda have consistently disputed there being a problem with the Honda ST1300 most Police Forces in the UK have ceased use or even returned their ST1300's and as a result of this Honda have now officially withdrawn this motorcycle for Police use. As they do not produce any other suitable motorcycle of this type it appears Honda will not be supplying the UK Police with any more motorcycles for the foreseeable future. So due to this BMW has been inundated with orders for the K1200GT to fill the gap.So there are no bikes to be had untill next year .

·
Registered
457 Posts
Last weekend, several local law enforcement agencies and emergency response services held an Operation Hand-Shake at the local shopping mall to meet and great the public and promote law enforcement careers. The public could talk with police officers and check out their vehicles including the police motorcycles. As expected, they had a few BMW Boxers on hand but what caught my eye was a brand new Honda ST1300 police bike. So I talked with the officer, asking him why the Portland, OR police department purchased the Honda. His answer surprised me. He said that while the BMWs are great machines, it was difficult to get them serviced in a timely manner and that the cost of maintenance was too expensive. On-the-other hand, the Honda ST1300 costs less than the BMW, Honda dealers are more abundant so you can get the bike in for service and repairs and back on the road again quickly and the cost to service the Honda was less too.

So it would appear that the Honda ST1300 police motorcycle is more than alive and well at least in the Northwest USA and that BMW may be once again losing favor with law enforcement agencies.

John
06 CGM KGT

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi All,

I have not seen Honda ST1300 police bike in Los Angeles area. The only ST1300s were used by private company that direct traffice for funeral around here.

Most police department still have their old kawasakis... A few Harley electra glide... Most new police bikes are R1200RT.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Palm Springs, CA PD has adopted the ST 1300 as well to replace their Harley's.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
John06KGT said:
..... and that BMW may be once again losing favor with law enforcement agencies.
I heard that from a local CHP officer in California as well. He said it was a burden for the department to get their bikes serviced in areas of the state where a dealer may be 250 miles distant.

I've heard of some local shops (Polaris Victory and Kawasaki) doing minor things like tire changes to their patrol bikes. But the big stuff goes off on a trailer for days or weeks.

Local city cops went from Kawi's to the H-D Patrol bikes. BMW wasn't an option since the local dealer closed. Most of the city cops prefer the "machismo" of the H-D, imho.

I do get a kick out of the H-D guys needing to use their big ol' radar guns that they toss into their sidebags when they get a live one. That BMW moving radar must really annoy them. Gives one a better chance to outrun them slow-poke H-D leos. :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too have never seen an ST1300 Police Bike in LA, however they are quite common in Orange County. I saw two just tonight in Westminster and Huntington Beach.

JB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I rode both Harley and BMW police bikes here in NJ and most people that make the decisions about what to buy or lease rely on one thing only- PRICE. Kawasaki was the cheapest by far several years ago, and Harley gave departments a price that was thousands and thousands off their list prices. I also spoke with several Harley execs from Milwaukee and they said they'd do anything to keep their bikes in the forefront of US police use. They want their bikes to be in as many parades as possible, and be seen ridden by cops because (paraphrasing here) their research tells them that every 5 year old boy that sees the cops on the harleys keeps that thought in the back of their minds all the way until they're of bike buying age and it helps sell more civilian bikes. Interesting strategy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts