BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install and Autocom system, GPS and eventually a radar detector on my GT.

I want to know your opinion as to where it should go.

Tank bag
If it's not in use it's off the bike
Don't need to install additional fuse block under seat
Wiring exposed to power and devices. Velcro secured yet ugly
I'll probably add a tank bag anyway for misc. stuff
If someone steals the bag at lunch stop, it's an expensive hit.

Under bike
Wiring concealed
Need to install switch for power shutdown of system.
Install fuse block

If it goes in the tank bag, do you jack it into the side power port with an angle plug or what?

Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Electric Accessories

Hi Steve,
it depends.
For GPS, I prefer a neat installation with a proper mount in the cockpit or on the handlebars. You want it in your view as you ride and you don't want to take your eyes off the road. Carmin GPS are rainproof so getting them wet is no problem. Also, all mounts have a quick-release cradle no it takes no time to remove the GPS unit when parking. Also, the power cords have an in-line fuse so you can wire them to the battery. I use a Garmin 276C which I wired to the low beam headlight on my 04 K12RS - max power draw is about 10 Watt so no concern for the headlight wiring.

For the Autocom, a tankbag mount may be preferable because it keeps the wiring closer to your body. Get a bag that has an electric feed, fused and all (or build your own with proper connector hardware to put the required power and audio connections on your bag.)
YMMV
Ride safe

Jürgen
96R850R
04K12RS

·
Registered
73 Posts
Steve, I've done it both ways. I think part of the answer depends on how much you move around on the seat. If you are an agressive rider and hang off your bike, you might want to keep it in the bag. If you mount it under seat, you can have problems with the cable being too short and restricting your movement. I had/have GPS, V1, and Ipod for long trips. My V1 goes with me everywhere/everytime. I have found the audible response very important in recognizing radar. Sometimes you just don't see the V1 arrows, especially in bright sunlight. So I run anything with audio through my AutoCom.

I do agree with Jurgen, the GPS needs to be in line of sight or very close to it. I use a brake reservoir mount (left side) for my GPS I got from Cycle Gadgets.

My setup is somewhat unique for the power lead. I used (cut/modified) the new Gerbings connectors to power my tank bag, straight from the battery (inline fuse). They're super easy to connect/disconnect when removing the bag. Some of the dealers have extras that are free.

Inside the bag, the Gerbings connector runs to a Centech AP-1 fuse panel. It powers everything I am using at the time. That's one way, but not the only way. One way or another (unless you have bluetooth) it seems you're going to have either power or audio wires running to/fro the bag. It does create clutter in the bag and can get rather heavy. But I have one thin audio wire coming out of the bag (with an external connector and volume control) for my earplug speakers. And it stays mostly out of the way when I sport ride. And I can easlily disconnect when I fill up. BTW, I have both a Big Mak tank bag and a Marsee Corona - don't like straps, etc.

It would be nice to wire everything under the seat with one audio wire coming out to feed helmet or earplug speakers. And I am sure someone out there has done it and it works well. However, it seems to me you'll be mounting things on a more permanent basis. Also BMW didn't leave a lot of room underseat or otherwise on the K12 like it does on an RT. Check the BMWST site also. There's lots of info like this on that board.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings.

I went with installing everything in the tank bag. I have an Autocom Pro-7-Sport. My rationale was twofold -- wiring and space:

1) I have several additional audio devices, most of which I prefer to have easy access to, and all of which I didn't want to have to run wires all the way back to under the seat. I have a Valentine 1, iPod, cell phone (really only used when stopped to avoid having to un-gear to make a call), and GPS audio piped into the Autocom unit. With the unit in the tank bag, most of the wiring happens with small patch wires to devices that are secured elsewhere in the bag. I think this is a neater approach, and didn't require running a trunk of cables from around the instrument cluster to the unit itself.

2) After installing an addition switched fuse panel, I didn't really find space under the seat for the unit. Furthermore, mounting the radio (Kenwood Freetalk XL GMRS) under the seat was basically impossible because of its size, and it would have negatively impacted reception.

That's my US$0.02.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On my 2001RS, The autocom fit nicely in the tail cone. Once i set it up as directed, I've never had to touch it in over 50k miles. Cable lengths worked out great for passenger and myself. Jukebox went in the tank bag.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My autocom is hardwired to the bike and is under the seat. The box is zip tied to the top right rail; I have the longer cables for the headset connection and don't have any problem with them reaching my helmet (or passenger's). My i River MP3 player is clipped to the tank bag and the cable from the autocom reaches it with plenty to spare.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When I had my RS I installed mine in the space that the Carbon Canister would normally take up. Great spot for it since the battery is right there. And it stays dry. I ran the lead right up the front of the seat and with a coiled cord to the headset never a problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Definitely the Tankbag

I've had it under the seat, in the glove box, but in the tank bag along with all the other critical electrical stuff works best for me. I can unplug the whole bag in less than a minute and take it into work or the hotel.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
My autocom mount is same as Bob5150. Hard wired and mounted under seat on right frame rail. There is just enough space outboard of the frame and inside the tupperware. No problems since I put it in 6 mos ago.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My setup must be like Erik's. Autocom hardwired just behind the battery with a few inches of helmet lead sticking out from under the seat. Attach a coiled extension to plug it into the helmet. One plus to this setup is you get room in you tank bag for other stuff. Mine always seems to be chock full when I'm going somewhere.

·
Addict-oholic
1,428 Posts
Mine is also under the seat and is "on" all the time. One year and no problem.
I put the inputs for music, phone and frs radio to the left tank bag which is almost useless for carrying things. I also have my wet/dry suit in the bag along with my documents and small things. I use the right bag for clothing and other readily available items.

·
Registered
176 Posts
DallasKRSRider said:
Read this for my Roady install a couple of years ago. You can do better than an AutoComm....IMHO.
Please expand on what you mean by "doing better than an autocom."
My requirements were rider/passenger communicaiton, integration of V1 detector audio and iPod/XM audio. Plan to add FRS radio for bike-to-bike.

My research found the Behr and the autocom along with some cheaper units that people reported as inferior. If you found something better/cheaper/more capable than the autocom, please share the info.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Autocom

I also have an Autocom system installed on my bike and I am very happy with the unit. I also looked into a number of different brands and the lower cost units all had poor sound quality. The VOX system works great and I really like the ability of the unit to cut the volume of the radio when I talk to my SO on the back. I have a XM Radio, and a GPS unit attached. Am looking to adding a Kenwood bike to bike radion in the future as well as connecting my phone up as well - all things the system can do with no problem.

I installed my unit under the seat in the tool tray. I relocated by tool bag to one of my side cases. I also put in a fuse buss so that each item has its own fuse. Everything works great.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I've got my GPS alert fitted on a tray inside the lid of my Givi 45 top box. Out of sight and locked. 1 multi way plug to the box from the wiring does the GPS, led rear light and box internal led light. This only works if most of the electronics kit can be installed remote. Last week I also discovered a small useful space built into the bottom of my stock seat, fitted with a cover panel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Relocated the Tool Kit to the built-in seat compartment, use the tool tray for the Autocom and grab the power from the fused "Auxilary Supply" already fitted.

Run the Cables under panels with quick couplings for Headsets (2), GPS, MP3 player and Cellphone. GPS and MP3 on handlebars, Cell in Topcase...

To each his own.... :)

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
autocom in tool comp

read earlier about coolant overflow soaking tool kit, is this a concern?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the autocom active-7 system, I ordered it from Autocomamerica and got it in the mail within 2 days, it took me about 25 minutes to put on the bike. I mounted it under the seat on the side rail to the left of the bike. I did take it and wrap it in bubble wrap for padding, and put it in a plastic bag to shield it from water (gotta protect the investment). Right now autocom is running a 50% off sale... very cheap!

I have an MP3 player, cell phone, and bike to bike. The bike to bike using a motorola talkabout 250 was having some problems, but if you look at it, there is a small "v" that rises from the case between the dual plugs, if you dremel that v off, the plug will seat perfectly and the communications are clear and perfect.

Hope this helps!
Kyle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don,

I can't imagine the coolant overflowing into the tool kit unless the overflow tube was blocked or disconnected.

I do know that people with tank bag straps that go under the seat and hook onto the lower lip of the tank need to be very careful as water will follow those straps and flood the tool kit area. I have not heard of this happening while riding; just while parked!

Randy

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
"I can't imagine the coolant overflowing into the tool kit unless the overflow tube was blocked or disconnected."

FWIW, I was surfing the archives and found a post on this topic. The thought is that if air is introduced into the cooling system at the time of a coolant change then it can burp and wet the toolkit tray. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.