BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our group uses CB radio since it provides the best range for bike to bike. As we are carving the twisties, we space out a bit for safety reasons and some of the slower members (not me of course :) ) fall behind a few miles so CB seems to be the best solution for us.

However, that said, I continue to have problems getting the CB to work reliably using the Autocom. I've used it successfully on my old 1150RT but my transmit volume is low and now that I'm on the GT I am getting hideous squeals when I transmit that I haven't been able to solve with chokes.

I had the dealer move the autocom from my 1150 to the GT and this might have been a mistake. The autocom is powered from the bike and is on a switched fuse on the bike.

I guess that I'll have to spend a weekend with the cases off to go over the wiring and see where all the ground loops are lurking.

Anyone out that been through the pain and have advise on how best to tame the autocom/CB beast??

Thx!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Autocom + CB

Have had the AutoCom with CB on my K1200GT for over a year, prior to that it was on my R1150RT for about another year, had the BMW folks do the change over and had similair problems only to find out that the fault was not with the Autocom but the CB unit. Once I replaced the CB unit everything worked A1 again, worth double checking. :tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe some help for others

Lessons learned. Don't mount Autocom under the seat. Makes the microphone lead WAY too long and susceptible to RF pickup from the antenna. I got it to work but had to use 6 RF chokes on the mic line to damp out the radiated RF. Worked pretty well after that. Still need to find out how/where the ignition noise is leaking in. It's not bad but would like to improve.

Worked pretty well on the 30th annual bike trip. 2500 miles of gorgeous CA/OR twisties and the occasional adult beverage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.