BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer installed an Autoswitch on my '06 to turn the Motolights on and off from the headlight switch. Basically, you needed to flash the headlights a couple of times to turn them on or off.

Seemed like a nice way to avoid the Motolight's switch being placed somewhere on the bike. Plus it had a LED to tell me that they were on or off (glows green if on; red if off).

Well it puked and all I get it a LED light but not Motolight operation. Dealer said they turn on by wiring the relay hot, consequently the power out of the Autoswitch died.

Another dealer said they wire their's through the turn signal switch. The uy at Autoswitch said it won't work that way on the newer Can-Bus bikes. He said they are coming out with a newer Can-Bus Autoswitch that should do that, but they've been saying that for a long time now.

Anyone else have a suggestion on how to get the Motolights to turn on? The installing dealer kept the old switch and Motolight want $85 for the wiring and switch that I didn't get back from the dealer. Too late now, plus the dealer is 300 miles distant so riding up there to get get it fixed, waiting overnight in a motel, and riding back would cost more than $85 for them to fix it right. No doubt they'd say "What switch?" anyhoo as it's been about a year since.

Mack

·
Registered
351 Posts
Grif you are one awesome fella! You should swing on up to the BMW MOA International meet in West Bend, WI (July 12-15) and let me buy you a beer! Bring your pals along too, but they gotta buy their own beers.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have or want a switch. The lights are a daylight safety factor for me so they are on all the time. If I need to work on the bike with the ignition on, I'll take the fuse out of the AP1 Centech fuse box. Work's great for me so far.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
03k12RS said:
Grif you are one awesome fella! You should swing on up to the BMW MOA International meet in West Bend, WI (July 12-15) and let me buy you a beer! Bring your pals along too, but they gotta buy their own beers.:)
I wish I could. Just not enough hours in my life to do what I want and keep the financial head above water.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Switch on your GT?

grifscoots said:
Since I wired mine to the switch assembly from the CL, I believe I have a Moto light switch, or two, laying around the gearage that you're welcome to have if you want it.

grif,

You wouldn't happen to have the part # for that switch on your right handle bar? That is exactly what i wanted to do to mine to control my lights!

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
lego said:
grif,

You wouldn't happen to have the part # for that switch on your right handle bar? That is exactly what i wanted to do to mine to control my lights!

thanks

Dave
Grif was kind enough to send me the part numbers a few months ago. Here they are.

They come off the R1200C. Here is what Grif told me to order. I did and the switches work great.
61 31 7 658 473 - switch (2 used)
61 31 7 660 444 - housing
65 14 7 651 032 - bolt
07 11 9 906 411 - bolt
46 63 2 313 281 - screw

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

I'm thinking the best would also be Grif's switch setup.

Would that also mount on the left bar or is there a reason it goes on the right?

Are the switches lighted - not that it matters?

Mack

·
Addict-oholic
1,417 Posts
I also have an extra motolight switch and relay that came off my old bike, and i forgot to give it to the dealer for the reinstall;so I purchased another one. You can have my old one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
GMack said:
Thanks.

Would that also mount on the left bar or is there a reason it goes on the right?

Mack
The switches light up. I think they could be mounted on the left bar. I did not try to do mount on the left.

What do you think Grif? Will the switches mount on the left?

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
GMack said:
Thanks.

Mack
I've always put them on the right hand side, don't see why the left wouldn't work. The switches are lighted.... if you wire them than way.

Be sure to order exactly what's on the list. If you're thinking, "I don't need those steenkeen screws", you will.

AND, kudo's to this one will have to go to our own, esteamed (or is that steamy?) Randy. He came up with this one 6 years ago.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info. I looked up the cl on max's BMW parts fiche for the CL and couldn't find anything that showed the switch...DOH

Dave

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll send the parts numsber off to a dealer and see if they can come up with something. I like the idea of that extra switch as I've got a use for it.

I'll put the Motolights on one and put a "Laser Interceptor" (a Lidar or Laser jammer) on the other. I saw the results of the LI now being made in Croatia against a 3500HD diesel RV with a lot of reflective chrome and white surface area. Cop trying to get a reading on the truck's speed never got a reading (snicker).

Here's a link to the video of a jammer protecting a RV from a laser gun.

Shouldn't be a problem for the single-head unit to protect the GT. Cost is suspected to be around $300-$400. Ivan, the designer, says that one of the units I/O leads will take a mini-headphone jack so audio can be fed to an Autocom. Seems all otehr jammers use a piezo buzzer rather than a voice or speaker output. This thing is supposed to say the name of the laser gun they use against it.

I read where some laser-training cop was seriously miffed that the Croation guy jammed all his laser guns that he had a stare down with the designer at the test site. Too funny! :rotf:

Fwiw, the unit will no doubt be illegal in some states that forbid jammers (like CA), but the fines are often less than the ticket and no points, insurance hikes, or problems renting a rental car. Some just shut the unit off after they get the speed down in a few seconds and flip it on so the cops won't get suspicious. Kind'a cool.

Yeah, a very good use of the second switch.... :D

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
grifscoots said:
I have my Motolights on one and was saving the other for ASC..... if it's retrogradable.

I had the same switches on my LT. These switches integrate real well to the bike, looks like OEM and never quit.
I like the fact they are lighted.

Bottom looks to be angled a bit. Maybe it is for the rights side only, but I can adjust to that.

Looking at the mounting bracket, what do they screw onto? Bottom looks to be open so the switches must be waterproof?

Saw the Max price's on the switch ($51 ea or $102 yipes!). Rest of stuff is reasonable.

Mack

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
GMack said:
I like the fact they are lighted.

Bottom looks to be angled a bit. Maybe it is for the rights side only, but I can adjust to that.

Looking at the mounting bracket, what do they screw onto? Bottom looks to be open so the switches must be waterproof?

Saw the Max price's on the switch ($51 ea or $102 yipes!). Rest of stuff is reasonable.

Mack
To tell you the truth, my switches are upside down. That's right, upside down. They were like that on the LT, too. I likes them like that and did it on purpose.

A screw comes out of the handlebar assembly and is replaced by one of the screws ordered. There's a bracket that also screws in from the underneath. There are no openings except around the switches. Like I said earlier, ridden in extreme wet with no probs.

They are a leetle pricey, but look like they came with the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Parts ordered.

Thanks.

Oh, are the lights on the switches always on or are they off when the Motolights are off? The Autoswitch (when it worked) was always on; either red or green.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts