BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm thinking about putting one on my GT....but it will have to be a first rate piece of work....probably gonna be expensive. New ones are coming on the market all the time..so search the web.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mogan said:
Anyone put one on a K1200S?
Aux fuel cell? How about one of those 5 gallon aluminum tanks that looks like it came out of a race car bolted right to the rear luggage rack which shouldn't have been installed either?

No offense but are you trying to kill the spirt of this bike?

I swear, I've seen too many pics of K1200S's with ridiculously high bar backs, peg lowering kits. big after-market wind screens, etc, etc, etc. Now folks are thinking of putting an Aux Fuel Cell on it?

I don't get it. It's a fast, great handling, comfortable, sport / sport touring bike. Not a long distance mile muncher. There are many other choices in the BMW line and among other makes available for the long distance, mostly highway riding thing. Why spend so much time and money trying to make this bike something it's not?

Nobody buys a beautiful Thoroughbred Race Horse to try and make it pull a produce cart.

·
Registered
531 Posts
mark5lam, i agree with you i've seen to many pictures of guys putting horribly ugly, bulky and cumbersome looking junk on their "S" bikes that take away from the bikes styling and clean lines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a fella that uses his Blackbird for Ironbutt. It's outfitted with necessary gear for distance riding and is a formidable platform for high speed distance riding. Interestingly, the power envelope of the K12S is almost identicle to the Blackbird.

I probably won't opt for it, but was curious if anyone has gone down this road with the S.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mogan said:
I know a fella that uses his Blackbird for Ironbutt. It's outfitted with necessary gear for distance riding and is a formidable platform for high speed distance riding. Interestingly, the power envelope of the K12S is almost identicle to the Blackbird.

I probably won't opt for it, but was curious if anyone has gone down this road with the S.
I say get a GT or similar. Hell, a Goldwing has a fantastic and powerful motor and is much better suited to that type of riding.

I guess my point was that these mods (i.e. bar backs, peg lowering kits, aux fuel cell, etc...) modify the character and performance attributes of the bike in an adverse manner. While these mods may make the bike more comfortable for some, they generally impose a negitive effect on the handling, ground clearance, appearance, and or overall "performance feel" of the bike.

It just seems silly to me to purchase a bike thats designed for specific performance then spend a bunch of cash and energy dulling those performance characteristics just to own one and be able to tolerate riding it.

I'm not trying to say what I think people should or shouldn't do. I'm simply saying I don't get it. Never the less, it's a wonderful thing living in a free country. We can all spend our money and time as the heart desires. Some people actually like Ketchup on hot dogs too and I don't get that either. Still, If you roll up to my place in the sweltering heat with all those misunderstood farkles on your KS, I'll be happy to offer you a cold drink of water, ice-tea, beer, etc., a spot to cool your heals and if you must put Ketchup on your hot dog, I have that too.

Maybe while you're relaxing and drinking your cool beverage you'll offer some insight as to why you didn't just purchase a bike that was a better fit for your needs in the first place.

JMHO folks :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Unless your;

a.) crossing Death Valley and the nearest station is 300 miles awway
b.) trying to get the jump on gas prices before they go up(hoarder)

then, I don't get it either...

What...? He who dies with the biggest fuel tank wins? :leer

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess there aren't any Iron Butt participants on this forum. I enjoy long distance riding that's coupled with twisties and high speed stints. That's not the domain of the Goldwing or other tourers. It could be owned by the up and coming hyper-tourer--the K1200S!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mogan said:
Guess there aren't any Iron Butt participants on this forum. I enjoy long distance riding that's coupled with twisties and high speed stints. That's not the domain of the Goldwing or other tourers. It could be owned by the up and coming hyper-tourer--the K1200S!
What ever. Tell it to the hand...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought mine to take trips on as well as carve corners. My first ride from the dealership to the house was 1908 miles. While I know I will not add an aux fuel cell the bike is a BMW regardless of its capabilities in the sporting arena. With that being said I expect it to be able to lay down 600 plus mile days without a complaint. As Mogan states the plus is being able to ride the twisty sections on such a trip with a weapon like this. That only made me want it more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
KS - not quite a mile eater!

I've done a number of Iron Butt rides. 1500 miles in 22 hours was my first attempt. (1994 Gold Wing 1500) Most recent was Mexico to Canada - 1654 miles in 23 hours (2003 Gold Wing 1800)

The most road I have been able to chew up on my KS is 720 miles in one sitting. I felt far worse when I got off the KS than I did after 1500 plus miles on the Wings. The advice in earlier posts is right on. The KS is a great bike, but you will screw it up by trying to make a long distance bike out of it. The seating position is too confining. You don't have the options of moving around on the bike to rest or relax muscles that are going to tighten up on the real LD rides. To be safe on a LD ride you have to be comfortable.

My Iron Butt rides, while considered extreme by the IBA are nothing compared to the guys who grind out 11,000 miles in an eleven day rally. Or, how about Egan's run from Prudoe Bay to Key West in 100 hours? A KS can't get you there.

When I bought my KS, I had visions of doing what you're thinking of. My first 700 mile ride convinced me that it was insane. On the Wing, I could ride 350 miles between fill-ups and be physically ready for more. On the KS, after 8 hours in the saddle, the 200 miles between fill-ups is more than I want.

I've just changed my sport. LD for twisties. Much more grinning in twisties.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check with Rick Mayer - he has an S he's thinking of campaigning in the next IBA rally and is working on an aux fuel cell.

Marty

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've done 650 miles in a day but was walking like John Wayne when I finally got off of it and didn't go near it for 3 days afterwards!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts