BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
My '00 K1200RS does not have that. Brown wire is always a ground (earth) connection per the Clymer wiring diagram. I don't recognize the yellow connector, either.

Is it wrapped or taped separately from the other two wires down below??

·
Registered
516 Posts
Can anyone help me identify the brown (yellow terminal end in photo) auxiliary wire lead that sits next to the tank sending unit on a 1998 K1200RS?
I have done quite a bit of work on many K1200RS and I have NEVER seen this added wire with such a strange yellow connector (BMW has never used these). Only the white 2 wires connector is stock from factory (connected to float / fuel-level sensor on top right side)

I would say with 99% certainty, that it is not stock - just an addition someone did. NOW... your job is to look around / under all fairings to figure where this leads. Maybe the Battery Poles will give you a clue about added / home-made wiring.

Stock battery poles connections wiring are:
- a single Large RED wire connected on (+) toward rear of motorcycle (assuming normal battery position)

- 2 (two) Black wires at Negative (-) pole: one is quite thick and leads into main wiring harness. The other is medium thick and leads down toward starter (attached to top of transmission as a Starter ground)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that this IS a factory stock wire. I've owned my bike since new, with no modifications and the tank wasn't replaced with the infamous service bulletin (mine never dripped requiring a trip to the dealer).

My VIN ends with ZA50140. I've been told that it was the 140th to roll off the line for US market, manufactured in April of 1997. I haven't verified that myself, but you can.

I opened up the fairings just now, and took a picture for you. This wasn't connected for me either.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that this IS a factory stock wire. I've owned my bike since new, with no modifications and the tank wasn't replaced with the infamous service bulletin (mine never dripped requiring a trip to the dealer).

My VIN ends with ZA50140. I've been told that it was the 140th to roll off the line for US market, manufactured in April of 1997. I haven't verified that myself, but you can.

I opened up the fairings just now, and took a picture for you. This wasn't connected for me either.
Thanks for jumping in with your photo.
We do learn something new almost everyday... in 16 years wrenching on these I had never seen an early K1200RS with such a connector.

In addition to the CLYMER manual, I also have the electrical diagrams directly from BMW (on a CD for Windows) - they do not show this added brown wire and connector. Will check with a few friends who have 1998 models on the other K1200RS forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Every time I take the tank off my 98 Taxi I wonder the same thing?
Perhaps a diagnostic port of some kind? Or a future accessory that BMW never implemented?

I can attest that this is definitely a stock wire.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts