BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I saw a post about a lighting kit that mounted low on the front fork - near the wheel axle - of course - now that I want to install long range lighting I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a recollection about this particular kit - it was kind of expensive - like $300.00.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Motolights are nicely crafted (although they do tend to go through bulbs) and will increase your visibility to other vehicles by creating an unusual triangle of light, but they are expensive and don't give very much down-the-road illumination for the rider.

If you want useable light thrown way down the road (as well as increased conspicuity), I'd look at the Clearwater LED Lights. They're not cheap either, but they are well made and put out a ton of useable light. Clearwater even has bracket kits for many common bikes, including Beemers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alternative to Motolights

I had similar ideas in that I thought the GT needed additional lighting particularly where I live in the Sierra's with deer etc. (although I was blindsided in broad day light by a deer which took care of the left side of the bike). My negatives for the Motolights were the location, lack of power, and cost. My alternative was to add two LED instruments (#44) from ADVmonster (http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/StoreFront.bok)
and placed them under the oil cooler.

I then added a smart controller from Skene Design (http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml). Jerry has a specific controller that works with the Canbus system. The advantage of his switch is that you can leave the lights on with your low beams at a lower setting so they act as running lights, but then switch on with the high beams to full power. They give a wider pattern to cover the roadside as well as more power than the high beams.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just wanted the triangle of lights, and I am cheap.

9 watt led "fog" lights found on e-bay for $6 and a deer whistles $3 (the ones with the round bell work best)
Drilled out the whistles and added the lights to them, very bright, almost annoying.
Double sided tape on the light system, lets you mount almost any where.

Too cold to go out to the pole barn and uncover the bike and take pictures of the installation. (-3F and a foot of snow).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts