BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new Avon 55/56's? Thoughts? Compare and contrast to the 45/46 (sorry for that last one, I was helping my daughter study for a Civics test)?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Loved the 45/46 set I had. But I'm shooting for a little more mileage out of a rear tire, so I have a ContiForce mounted back there now. I wasn't aware of a "new 55/56" set though. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm a giant fan of the 45/46s so I'll be interested to see how these work.

However, on short notice I wanted to take a kind of long ride, so I just got what tires my favorite shop had on the rack, and decided on a Michelin Pilot road on the back, and pilot power on the front. (I hate pushing the front around, and assume the roads arent' that sticky.) Mostly straight road riding so far, but the tires seem to stcik better (road) than I expected!

·
Registered
65 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
decided on a Michelin Pilot road on the back, and pilot power on the front. (I hate pushing the front around, and assume the roads arent' that sticky.) Mostly straight road riding so far, but the tires seem to stcik better (road) than I expected!

I have probably run 5 or 6 sets of this tire combination, both on my '03 GT that I retired with 76k miles, and once on a 6k trip last summer on my '06 GT. While I only get about 6-7K miles out of the set, it sticks better that any set of tires I have run on the GT.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new 55/56 are also called Storm-ST. Here is a link to them. According to my dealer they are now available in the US.

Brian

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eljeffe said:
I will try these on my next set of tires for the GT.
I'm thinking the same thing. I like their idea of a contact patch that changes size based on need/lean angle. Also, the 45/46 was/is a great set-up and improvements in the 55/56 can only make it better.

Brian

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cblanchard said:
Contras on '07 Ad. I was at Nick's on a blue K1200s one day when you where shopping.
I remember you. I think your riding buddy should get some credit for the sale the way he was working me on the GSA... :teeth

According to Jim you have the speed record to Milwaukee and back when you bought that S.

Brian

·
Registered
279 Posts
bnblazer said:
The new 55/56 are also called Storm-ST. Here is a link to them. According to my dealer they are now available in the US.

Brian
These seem to lack the "ZR" designation vs. the "R" designation on the Avon's.
Anybody know of this is reason for concern ???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe it because they are "W" rated. Meaning they are good up to 168 mph vs the "Z" rating of up to 140 something. Sorry, I do not have the data in front of me.

Dave

·
Registered
838 Posts
GTdavey said:
These seem to lack the "ZR" designation vs. the "R" designation on the Avon's.
Anybody know of this is reason for concern ???
The Storm ST are ZR rated. I've just called my dealer and asked him to cancel my Z6 order and order these for me. They'll be in next week and I look forward to trying them.

$345.00/pair CDN Installed and Balanced

·
Registered
238 Posts
45/46

Didn't anyone else notice how these tires vibrated? I ran a set on my RT for 10k and when new (first 4k mi) they vibrated between 3 and 4k rpm, right in the cruising sweet spot. I liked the wet grip, but I'm shy to try again. It was very noticeable if not overwhelmingly bothersome.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My dealer claims folks using 45/46s were heavy repeat customers. They were one of his best selling tires and one of the only ones with a "road hazard warranty".

Perhaps your vibration was "balance" related?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My local dealer just ordered the 55/56 for me. No eta yet. I will report when I get them.

I loved the Metzlers, but they started to square off around 3700. Now at 5k it is pretty noticeable. I could easily get another 2k out of them, but I want to try something else, and since I am a slab rider not a twisty guy I think the Avons make sense.

Brian

·
Registered
69 Posts
zr vs w rating

lego said:
I believe it because they are "W" rated. Meaning they are good up to 168 mph vs the "Z" rating of up to 140 something. Sorry, I do not have the data in front of me.

Dave
Well I'll be..I have been looking for the speed rating for awhile now and the only thing i could find was the "w" rating on SW Moto tires website. They didn't even have the "R" designation on their site before and now they do but not the "ZR" rating. Needless to say Avon did not have the info either. The last time I was on the site they made no mention of the speed rating on the tires..So here i sit eating crow...oh well back to the dinner plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Avon Storms

I have a little over 400 miles on my first set of the new Storms. This includes a couple of runs through Deal's Gap and the Skyway. So far I really like the feel of them over the Metzlers that they replaced, but they are still new and I have yet to ride in the rain with them. So time will tell how long they will last and what kind of wear profile they will have. I first tried tire pressures of 36/40, and am now trying 38/42. It may be just my imagination, but I believe the 38/42 pressures feel better to me.

I'm leaving next week for a ride into the Missouri Ozarks and a stop at the Blitz To Branson. This will include quite a few Interstate miles which will be good because I have yet to test them on the open road. It's just so boring riding all of these local twisty mountain roads. (Yeah right!)

·
Registered
838 Posts
lego said:
Needless to say Avon did not have the info either.

You should look here. A complete explanation of speed ratings as well as a load index. Compliments of Avon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the link! That explains it well.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts