BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after selling my R1200RT earlier this year I told myself I was done with bikes. Unfortunatly I think there are certain things you are just destined to do and become addicted to along the way. I decided to buy another bike and while I loved my RT, my budget was no longer there. So, I found a used 2002 black RS today with 13k miles on it. It came with the cruise control, the side cases, the BMW clip on pack for the rear rack and the tank bag. I have owned a 99 RS before as well that was traded for an LT and I also owned a 2003 GT last year but traded up for a GS. I have had a hard time with the ergonomics of the RS in the past leading to their demise but I am dedicated to making it work better. I am a 300+ lb guy so the weight on my arms isnt comfy. I am probably going to go with the 80mm bar backs and peg lowering kit. Also, losing some wight would probably be even better (me, not the bike). Anyway, i love this black color and the motor and tranny of this bike rock. I would also like to try out some ohlins for this. The stock suspension is a bit rigid feeling. BTW, after coming off the RT which has insane low speed manuevering and going back to the RS, does anyone have any low speed manuevering technique tips?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome back! You will love the RS, even more with Ohlins - I made the change recently, and wished I'd done it years ago. For slow speed stability, trail the rear brake, not enough to smoke it up, just apply some gentle pressure while applying some throttle, and if necessary, slip the clutch A LITTLE. It helps to keep everything tight, especially those U turns on narrow roads and driveways....And remember, chin up and look where you want to go....A mate hit a car recently - He said he knew not to look at the front of it, cos that is where he would impact, so he looked at the driver's door! Result, one totaled brand new Honda predator >1000km, and banned from riding ever again - by his wife. Personally I'd have to weigh up all the options though....

·
Registered
53 Posts
You will not find fault with the RS. A great all-around machine, with plenty of pulling power, top fit and finish, and one the sexiest body designs of any BMW ever made (IMHO) :teeth

I am currently riding on the stock suspenders... with only 12,000 miles on the odometer, they seem to have lots of life left. Before you drop $1500 on Ohlins, you might find satisfaction in simply adjusting the rear shock. Worth a try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When riding the RS slowly, you are best to be at the top of your game... she's one heavy sucker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great bike good luck. I would like new shcoks for 04GT too. I have never try one with new shocks on it but everyone say it makes the a lot better

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chuckwilmot said:
Amen to that. I STILL say the RS is the best looking bike BMW ever made! Especially in black!
I definatley love the black. My 99 was in red and I still really like the red, but my 03 GT was in that crappy puke green color. I couldnt stand it and it never grew on me. I love the black... I have thought of powdercoating the wheels black to match.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Black RS here, too. Best ever for a brick. For sure aftermarket suspension is better than stock, better spring rates and more control for compression and rebound adjustment both front and rear. I am a Wilburs man myself, but now they are approaching Ohlins prices and Ohlins' front is now adjustable so they are likely a personal pref thing. Prior low speed comments are how I do it, especially when the bike is laden.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my 2000KRS this past May 17K on it. Just had the 24K service done and while she was undressed, I did the Ohlins and sliped on a set of PRII's. The techs spent a fair bit of time with the throttle. It now feels like butter and is alot easier to twist. Somehow it gone from 46mpg to 43mpg, The bike feels at least 25% faster and the Ohlins are way cool.

Mandrin/Graphite

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
rear brake

In my previous job I was retested for pursuit riding every year. One test was riding through cones. This involved going from full lock to full lock, requiring a stop each time. I did it once without putting my foot down. The instructor made me do it three times, same result. He tried it but had to put his foot down once. Slow speed riding is the starting point for learning bike riding. Balance is everything. And as the man said above, use only rear brake and clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts