BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back on the road now for 3 weeks and still love it. Bike is fixed. I had an accident on nov 11 and had a 5 broken ribs, collar bone, broken scapula, bone fragment in foot. Back to working out and everything seems great. As an Suv passed me, she clipped my handlebar and i ended up lowsiding the bike. Different than my other 3 accidents, the impact of hitting the ground was much greater than in the past. I was driving about 45mph. I remember the severe impact on my shoulder and head, then bouncing a few a few times off of my face. It wasn't much of a slide, like i have had in the other wrecks. Well I had all my gear on including armor, and no rash, just internal injuries.

Well for all the non full face wearing helmet people, here is a look at my helmet. the damage doesn't look as severe in the pic as in person, but without the full shield, i believe my nose, chin, lips, and teeth may have resembled hamburger. the vents on top and an the chin were damaged as well as the shield. I remember two impacts on the face.

i was wearing a Scorpion EXO700. it did the job well. No headache, neckache, nada. no pain from the strap either. it worked well enough that i purchased another scorpion, this time the exo1000.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Glad you are back riding. Would have thought you could have buffed those scratches out during the recovery time and saved the cost of a new helmet. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
chuckheinch said:
Different than my other 3 accidents, the impact of hitting the ground was much greater than in the past.
Glad to hear that you have had a full recovery.
You are amazing. MC accident stats are something we all hear and think about all of the time. Fortunatley, I have never had one. If I had had 4, I think I might have found another hobby by now.

Rich

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
And all this time I thought the only thing that wearing a full face helmet would do in a crash was snap your neck cause of the extra weight. :yeow: :teeth

Glad you've recovered and are back riding. Be careful.....geez.....4 separate accidents? A byproduct of living in CA? I might be second guessing my riding career if I had 4.

·
Registered
749 Posts
God bless Scorpion. I remember buying my first Arai helmet, and the salesperson actually tried to steer me to a cheaper helmet, but feeling I have an expensive head I went for the expensive helmet. That Scorpion looks like it's worth every penny. God bless :clap:

·
Registered
289 Posts
chuckheinch said:
i was wearing a Scorpion EXO700. it did the job well. No headache, neckache, nada. no pain from the strap either. it worked well enough that i purchased another scorpion, this time the exo1000.
Holy Crap!

Glad you're back in the saddle. Scorpion should get a testimonial from you.

Out of curiosity, did the SUV stop?

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Glad you're enjoying riding again.

My brother still is waiting to get back on after a nasty lowside at 60+mph.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes she did stop. There were two witnesses, but neither contacted the CHP back when they called them. I remember one guy saying he saw the whole thing. Now it is my word against her word. The cause in the report "was undetermined," although my insurance company has taken the stance that she is at fault. I don't want to make money on this, just want to get what i have coming. I was out of work for 6 weeks and I returned sooner than i should have. There was trouble getting the police report so I wanted to get back before I got the suprise that i expected from the report. It has happened to me before.

I have a shoei helmet too, but i prefer the scorpion. I read about it in a mag and it had screaming reviews. It is snell and dot rated. very comfortable and has good features.

For a testimonial, i would do that for $$$$. well maybe for a helmet.

all the accidents my fault prior to this with no vehicles and only one deer. first one when i was a kid aka "retard" 21 year old, no serious injuries just tons of rash. ran into my buddies rear tire when he turned in early to a gas station. one time bad luck, punctured tire that waffled on me around a turn made the bike oversteer somehow and fell in gravel. just bruises. the other i was in a blind turn in a parking lot and glanced the other way just for a sec. i came around the corner a deer jumped from a lying position behind a bush and hit my front end. the deer actually hit me and dumped my bike. i may have locked up the front wheel not sure though. the last three with full gear every time and no road rash at all and only injury on this one.

I was thinking of using duct tape and a marker to clean the helmet up. remove the shield and go with the supermoto look with goggles instead.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey Chuck, I'm gald to hear you're back in the saddle so soon after the accident. So what all needs replacing on a KR after a lowside? Did you have sliders and/or the SW crashbars on your bike?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sharkbait said:
Hey Chuck, I'm gald to hear you're back in the saddle so soon after the accident. So what all needs replacing on a KR after a lowside? Did you have sliders and/or the SW crashbars on your bike?
i had r&g sliders. there was damage to the radiator cover, sliders on the fork and final drive, rear grab bar, brake caliper, front peg and shift lever, rear peg and bracket, bar end, hand guards, handlebar, lever.

they replaced the radiator and seat and one upper panel,not sure there was damage to those.

last time i wrecked at a lower speed and the frame slider took the brunt along with the bar end. this time a little more was damaged.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you will be able to see me in a few weeks. the bike was fixed back to original, but i will be sporting a new look with HP2 alpine white and blue. will see you around.

·
Registered
365 Posts
chuckheinch said:
you will be able to see me in a few weeks. the bike was fixed back to original, but i will be sporting a new look with HP2 alpine white and blue. will see you around.
Glad you healed and are back riding.

So when do we get to see pictures of the new look!

AJ

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am doing a little body work on the tail to fill the holes, primer on the black parts tomorrow, paint this weekend. if everything goes as scheduled, should be done this weekend, now that there is great weather. i missed alot of good days riding this week.

i will post the pics when done. Ribs still hurt, collar bone still hurts. i've been working out alot to drop a little weight that i gained while bed ridden and mostly feels good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts