BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an embarrassing one,
Riding on the interstate on my 04 GT I hear a 'dragging' noise, and before I know it the noise stops, and the left rear bag proceeds to spin down the road, paint side down of course, fortunately not causing any accidents or being crushed by a semi.
I need to make up my mind on whether to replace (orient blue) the lid,get it painted, or maybe go for some of those City lids,actually they'd be just right for me.
The body shop I took it to was a trip, they started off with the negatives right off the bat, "We probably can't get the paint", etc.,etc. I told the knucklehead I've got the code (309), but it was like talking to a wall.
Does anybody know what the heck I did to allow that thing to come loose ? I hadn't had it off in months, and it was empty. Putting it back on it seemed to latch fine . Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
dobent4 said:
Does anybody know what the heck I did to allow that thing to come loose ? I hadn't had it off in months, and it was empty. Putting it back on it seemed to latch fine .
The only thing to say is to double check the attachment points after pushing down the top latch. I do't use my bags a lot, but when I do, I visually check the two hook points and make sure they're completely engaged. Then the mating point with the pillion footrest brace, then as a last check pulling up on the bag to see if the attachment is secure.

Haven't had a bag drop off at speed as of yet. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Hello Doug; I bought my 03GT recently and the seller was emphatic about securing the panniers on all three catch points. he advised me to to is slowly and carefully.

This may be a bit like offering dvice too late but it may possibly explain what happened..

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, if I would've given all 3 points a good tug I'll bet it wouln't have departed.
If anyone sees a set of City case lids let me know ! Doug
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
dobent4 said:
This is an embarrassing one,
Riding on the interstate on my 04 GT I hear a 'dragging' noise, and before I know it the noise stops, and the left rear bag proceeds to spin down the road, paint side down of course, fortunately not causing any accidents or being crushed by a semi.
I need to make up my mind on whether to replace (orient blue) the lid,get it painted, or maybe go for some of those City lids,actually they'd be just right for me.
The body shop I took it to was a trip, they started off with the negatives right off the bat, "We probably can't get the paint", etc.,etc. I told the knucklehead I've got the code (309), but it was like talking to a wall.
Does anybody know what the heck I did to allow that thing to come loose ? I hadn't had it off in months, and it was empty. Putting it back on it seemed to latch fine . Doug
Motorcycle paint codes mean nothing to the supplier.They only have the automotive codes. I had to give them a panel to match the paint .
I feel for you , must have had an issue with the latch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Doh! Sorry to hear about that. A friend had a bag pop off of her RT after hitting a pothole. Not exactly sure why, but since then I've always been meticulous about ensuring the mount points on the bags are properly aligned when I lower the "big handle". I thought I was being paranoid, but maybe not.

As we all know, lifting the thin handle to open a lid requires first lifting the thick handle, which releases the attachment. Did you maybe bump it out of alignment one time when the lid was open?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you maybe bump it out of alignment one time when the lid was open?
Entirely possible Kerry.
I like that re-useable zip-tie idea Voxmagna, I believe I'll do that. Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
tonysrep said:
Motorcycle paint codes mean nothing to the supplier.They only have the automotive codes. I had to give them a panel to match the paint .
I feel for you , must have had an issue with the latch
Except in this case, the BMW paint code is the same for both BMW motorcycles and automobiles. How do I know? 'Cause I ordered the touch-up paint for my Grau-Green K1200GT at my local BMW Autohaus... the nearest BMW Motorrad dealer is 120 miles North of where I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info on the BMW car and bike codes being the same, that made things a whole lot easier. I found a body shop with a good reputation that's going to do the job for 150 bucks including paint, so that's where it is.
The BMW roundel and reflector were both easier to find and cheaper than I would have guessed (about 21 bucks). Doug
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top