BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here as I’ve recently joined the community.
I recently acquired a 2004 k1200 rs and I’ve been searching everywhere for hard bags, but find nothing. If anyone has even suggestions for aftermarket solutions I would be very thankful.
My wife and I would love to take some road trips, but without bags it’s not realistic.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmmm. And not really anything I see listed fro sale. Where are you located ? A set of bags should pop
up somewhere before the season gets going. I will keep an eye.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I recently acquired a 2004 k1200 rs and I’ve been searching everywhere for hard bags, but find nothing. If anyone has even suggestions for aftermarket solutions I would be very thankful.
My wife and I would love to take some road trips, but without bags it’s not realistic.
Side-cases are specific to all years of K1200RS and K1200GT (2003-2005 only) - this K1200GT is in fact a K1200RS with added features. Both of these models have been out-of-production since 2005 and the used market is getting pretty dated (meaning most of used bags showing up on EBAY are not in good shape...). Once in while a good set shows up in EBAY. They are still available from BMW parts catalog (brand new) for $US 398 each side PLUS $US 75 for lock kit (2 lock cylinders) See attached photo to check if you K1200RS is already fitted with BMW side-cases holders this will save you another $US 180 (new price). See 1st photo below...

Do NOT believe some EBAY seller telling you another similar looking side-cases set from another BMW model may fit - it will not. Because of both (1) left exhaust and (2) the position of rear flashers, the shape / mold of the K1200RS INSIDE part of the both side-cases is specific. Only the external covers can be exchanged with some other twin / boxer models of same era. See 2nd photo below....

During last 18 years following 3 different K1200RS forums. I have never seen an after-market supplier trying to fill this side-cases / luggage gap. Only for the rear rack / top case can you find some kind of compromise solution from GIVI. Their bracket / rack for rear top case is stronger than the weak one offered stock on K1200RS. However GIVI stopped producing this rear-top-case bracket kit as the demand pretty much vanished slowly since 2005. Occasionally you can still find a dealer / distributor selling old (new) stock on EBAY (GIVI part number is F680).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Tennessee. Right in the middle of everything. The hard bags (when you find them), will give you 33+25 litres of storage. I never thought I would have a top case on mine, but it's come in very handy as is the tank bag.
Markham-20160629-00987.jpg Markham-20160629-00987.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Knoxville Tennessee area, much appreciated!
I have a spare pair of bags from my 2003 K1200RS. One is keyed to my bike, one is locked with no key. If these may help you out (they are in decent shape), I will send a couple photos for you to consider.

They look like these, which are on my bike.

MVIMG_20191227_092319.jpg

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200GT
17 Posts
These sure are popular and hard to come by... every few months we get a post like this (see for example where dohalloran also shared his wisdom). I'm still looking for a set too (I'm in Maryland for those clearing out their garages in the mid-Atlantic)!

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200GT
17 Posts
In unrelated news, thanks for sharing those pics dohalloran; I've been trying to figure out how to mount a phone/GPS with these weird "handlebars" and I see you've mounted a cross bar behind the windscreen brackets. Neat! You mind sharing how that works for you and details on how exactly you did it?

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
ISobek-
I happen to have a set of bags I bought off of EBAY two years ago. They were advertised as for 2000-2004 RT's. I would have passed but the price was so good AND the left
saddlebag has the telltale exhaust cutout.
I decided to paint my bike ('04 K1200GT) and keep the original bags so these just sit and take up space. I think they have keys. They're matte black with no cracks or structural damage
that I could see when I looked at them BRIEFLY!
Point is, I believe they will fit my K because they are made for our vintage K's. I have to to Dr. tomorrow AM but I'll be back mid afternoon. I will give them a more thorough inspection.
Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
35 Posts
In unrelated news, thanks for sharing those pics dohalloran; I've been trying to figure out how to mount a phone/GPS with these weird "handlebars" and I see you've mounted a cross bar behind the windscreen brackets. Neat! You mind sharing how that works for you and details on how exactly you did it?
Heres a link to one of these style of mounts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd love to sell them to you but they don't fit my '04 GT. I thought that the only BMW bags with LH exhaust cutout were the '98-'04 RS/GT K models. If someone out there knows
more details, please advise.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd love to sell them to you but they don't fit my '04 GT. I thought that the only BMW bags with LH exhaust cutout were the '98-'04 RS/GT K models. If someone out there knows
more details, please advise.
If your left side-case look somewhat like a K1200RS/GT it could be EITHER from a:
- R1100GS (1994-2000)
- R1150GS (2001-2003)
- R1100R (1994-2000)

All these 3 Boxer twin also had a left side exhaust going up in similar direction on left side. HOWEVER the K1200RS/GT was the only one with deeper dent to avoid interference with left flasher - see yellow circle in attached photo below...

ALSO... note that the top / rear hook of the left side-case is configured more toward inside of frame on K1200RS/GT ( offset compare to the top / front hook).

Reactions: orion_nomad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ram mounts makes a ball mount that matches the screw pattern on top of the clutch master cylinder, I installed that and so my GPS is to my left and closer to my face which works for my older eyes!

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200GT
17 Posts
Ram mounts makes a ball mount that matches the screw pattern on top of the clutch master cylinder, I installed that and so my GPS is to my left and closer to my face which works for my older eyes!
I saw those but didn't know how well those work since the master cylinder cover is curved. Sounds like they do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts