BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted tires for some track days and mountain riding next year. I've never been able to use my Hunter DSP balancer on motorcycle tires. The rear wheel fits the arbor on the DSP balancer.

I rotated the tire on the rim and on my static balancer until it didn't need any weights. I put it on the DSP and it showed it needed 18 grams on the left side and 20 grams on the right side. I cut and ground the weights to the exact number. The weights are 180 degree opposite each other. It still shows perfect balance on the static balancer.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Bumper Automotive lighting Font
Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Vehicle door
Gauge Audio equipment Gas Technology Display device

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear tires, rarely vibrate due to being out of balance. In fact many racetracks don't allow adhesive only wheel weights due to the fact that they may be slung off at high velocity.
Some tracks also have you drain the antifreeze, remove the mirrors, tape the headlight & some let you add tape over the weights. If I have to remove the weights the tire & wheel will still be balanced. This tire was out of balance by 56 grams which is the exact amount the wheel was out. I'm happy I was able to balance the assembly up, down & side to side on a six inch wide wheel. I have never been able to do this on my other motorcycles because the center hole was too small.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Been told by a road racing driver that balancing was not necessary under 300km/h. If i still wanted to do it static balancing is well enough, dynamic will give no advantage. I have driven when my weights fell off, no difference, only 1 wheel per axle so.

·
Registered
157 Posts
they always do my rear on the car balancer - I then had an argument about static vs dynamic online - so went to dunlop techs and asked them

they said no such thing on bike tyres as dynamic balance issues... I said you're a bunch of halfwits of course there is - especially on bigger wider tyres on the back... they said go away you idiot - we run tyres in all formulas of bike racing including in Moto GP and have more wins on Ilse of Man than anyone else and NEVER did anything other than static balance - I said time to wake up then - maybe that's your problem and why one set of tyres works and other's don't

1 - 7 of 7 Posts