BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Doru-in-Romania said:
How do you keep your bars? I found better to keep bars full down on open road and full up inside the city. Options = problems.
The dealer had it set for full up when I picked it up last year. I haven't changed it.

I have wanted to try the bars in different positions, including full down, but always seem to be in a hurry whenever I think of it.

The dealer told me to make sure the torque is correct when adjusting the handlebars. He said 25 pound feet (34 Nm), but I have not verified his value against the manual.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The bike was delivered with the bars in the highest position. After only a few weeks, I installed the Heli bar adapter and had been pretty happy with the result. Last week, however, I installed the Stebel Nautilus Compact horn, and since I have a tankbag, the horn button would contact the tankbag at full left lock on the bars. It's wasn't a problem with the anemic stock horn, but the Nautilus would have scared the daylights out of anyone within a couple hundred feet of the bike (and me, as well) so I removed the Heli adapter and put the bars in the lowest position as an experiment.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to be more comfortable and I feel more "connected" to the bike with the bars in the lowest position. It does require a more pronounced "Master Yoda" riding position. I'd recommend to anyone that they at least take advantage of the adjustibility of the bars to determine what works best.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Like most, my dealer had the bars full up on delivery. I figured that I would immediately move them all the way down but decided to have them adjusted to 2 notches above the lowest setting. That was for one week....then I lowered them to full down. Frankly, I think they could be a full one inch lower for optimum position.

My first bike 11 years ago was a '98 K1200RS bought used with "barbacks" on it. Rode like that for several months until I decided to experiment and remove them. I felt like a complete transformation in handling (through weight distribution) occurred.

I feel that way about the GT too. The bars (and seat) full down distributes your weight a bit more forward, changing the COG. Having a problem with wind management? It also drops your head a few inches which eliminates all buffeting. The airflow is clean, not choppy over my stock (tall) BMW screen.

Lets face it...even with the bars down you aren't in a race-crouch just a more "sporting" position....and the GT is a Sport-Tourer. Try it...you might be surprised how much it transforms the bike's performance/handling in comparison with full up bars and seat.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Bars up, seat down. Just right for me. I like a slightly aggressive posture, and this is just about right. I had an RS, which was a little too aggressive for my taste, although I did learn to live with it.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Bars down

MikeM said:
Like most, my dealer had the bars full up on delivery. I figured that I would immediately move them all the way down but decided to have them adjusted to 2 notches above the lowest setting. That was for one week....then I lowered them to full down. Frankly, I think they could be a full one inch lower for optimum position.
I'm right there with you Mike, I rode with the bars near the bottom for a while, then moved them all the way down and like them there. If there was a lower setting I'd use it.

I had the stock seat in the low position too, even though I'm 6'2" the leg bend wasn't significantly different and I felt more connected to the bike. (Also the high seat position put too much of a squeeze on my important bits.) The Corbin seat is single position and it's about in between the stock high and low position, so it works out fine (and my jewels can still breathe.)

My last bike (Kawasaki GPZ1100) had much lower handlebars and the pegs were farther back, such that I (along with pretty much everyone who had that bike) installed bar risers just to get comfortable. The GT with the bars full down is still higher than the GPZ with 1.5" risers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thums Up to Bars Down

I had my bars all the way up for around 13,000 miles. Just did about 2500 miles to the Smoky's and back. I had tires put on in Knoxville (about 550 mi from home) and had the lower the bars for all the upcoming mountain riding. Now new tires are always great, but I swear the lower bars makes it handle better. As someone said, it lowers your CG or moves it forward. I love it!

Before the trip I also installed the tank grips sold by Pirate. That's the best $50 I've spent on the bike. They enable you to hold the tank with your knees and not slide forward under braking or when descending a hill - something you do a lot of in the Smoky mountains. If you really ride correctly, you'll use the tank to hold you up and the resulting unweighted arms to lightly steer the bike, talk about steering input - even with the duolever.

New tires, bars down, tank grips, mountains = 9 great days of riding. Looking forward to the ride to Road America this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Full down, and I wish I could get it down a bit more. I feel much more connected to the bike in full down. The bike seems more like an extension of myself, rather than something I am trying to pilot.

Of course, I came from an RS and always liked the position on it as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have had the bars all the way down pretty much since I bought the bike but about 350 miles into my first long ride in quite a while I pulled over, popped the seat, grabbed the tool and brought the bars all the way up. My elbows, neck, and even my poor sore ass were much relieved. My dream option on the GT? Make the handle bars like the ESA and windscreen - infinitely adjustable with the push of a button...

I did notice, however, a difference in the turns and feeling "connected" to the bike. Of course being totally out of condition for 7 hours in the saddle had nothing to do with it I'm sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Correct me on this yesterday lowered the bars, the GT fells totaly like a different bike. Now i seem to have much better balance all around, could this be one of the reason people keep laying their bikes on the ground , just like I did, It seems the arms are to close to the chest with them on the high pos, seems to tie you up. ,
I thank all that gave there opinion on this,

·
Registered
650 Posts
Doru, unlike some of the other guys, I find that i get (stiff Arm) or (locked elbows) when my bars are fully down and lose some control in the corners.
When I have the bars in the highest position my hands are resting on top of the bars with my elbows bent and relaxed.
My push/pull control in this position is improved.
Horses for courses I think

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
One of my favorite features on the GT is the adjustable bars. No matter what bike I am on, it is the sitting in one position for extended periods of time that make me sore. Changing that bar position whether from high to low, low to high or somewhere in between relieves the load on my body and lets me keep plugging away.

The adjustable seat and windshield are available on other bikes help break up the riding position to some extent, but the change in weight distribution on my arms, neck and back that only the adjustable bars offer is one of my favorite features of the GT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts