BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the forum responses on BMW-branded battery trickle chargers, but need an update-- my dealer swears (not just at me for calling again) that BMW's "maintenence
charger" (part # 71607688865) works perfectly and does not upset Herr CAN-BUS. I really
prefer the convenience of using the accessory outlet for access, and not having to wire
the battery for something more generic, but will use another type of charger if I must.

Your opinions/experience appreciated

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I went out to the garage and made sure my BMW battery charger had the same part number you quoted, and it does. It works on my bike fine, although the procedure to use it is probably a little different than you are used to.

Mine came with a flier/BMW bulletin which says to use the charger, first turn the ignition on, then plug the charger's accessory plug into the bike's accessory outlet, then plug the charger's power side into a powered 110V outlet, then wait five seconds, then turn off the ignition.

What this goofy procedure does is keep the computer from shutting off the accessory outlet. I've had to add one more little step: after turning the ignition on, let the computer go through its checklist first before plugging in the charger.

I've used this procedure on mine several times, and it works fine.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Man, I must be messing up. I plug mine into the socket, plug it into the wall, turn on the bike, let it do it's thang and then shut it off. I works. The volt meter shows it charging (before I shut the bike off) and the charger eventually goes to green.

I mounted my charger on a piece of 1X4 and attached it to one of the garage door mounting brackets. Puts it up in the air where I won't trip over the dayem thang. Made an "S" hook out of some coat hanger to keep the cord up when I'm riding.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
grifscoots said:
Man, I must be messing up. I plug mine into the socket, plug it into the wall, turn on the bike, let it do it's thang and then shut it off. I works. The volt meter shows it charging (before I shut the bike off) and the charger eventually goes to green.
Well damn. I'll have to try that. Sure makes it easier.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mine works exactly as advertised. In fact, it was even accidently unplugged from the wall for an entire afternoon, I plugged it back in and did NOT have to reinitialize the bike (ignition on/off sequence).

It also did a very nice job of recovering a little used lead-acid battery in my airhead. It took two days, but I eventually "got the green light".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts