BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BMW model battery charger, for "gel" type batteries, that plugs into accessory plug on side of my K12GT. Dumb question, since I don't want to remove the battery quite just yet for the winter. Will this thing, not only keep it charged up, but protect it from the cold??. I mean, does the charging on maintenance mode, keep the battery warm somehow?. It is getting down to zero (0) "C" to -10 below here now (after being 55 here 2 days ago). I need the battery in to do my electrical projects, really don't want to keep removing and installing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It is my understanding that freezing is far less an issue with Gel Batteries. My tech said not to worry about it. And I live in Chicago.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've never worried about batteries freezing...do you think all of those cages on the street park in a heated garage every night?

But no, you can't count on your battery tender to keep it warm.

--Jerry

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Batteries only freeze when they are flat and left in freezing conditions for a long time, because the acid specific gravity goes right down. So keep them fully charged on the tender.

The techs are fairly right to say don't worry about it, because a good battery with no faults and assuming you didn't leave the lights on, will never be absolutely flat. If it is flat and then freezes/splits the case, this just told you you needed a new battery anyway. Mind you, I'd hate the thought of acid leaking on to the bike.

I had some small gel batteries I left for a couple of years outside without charging. They were flat and their cases had split.

Keeping the battery on a tender through Winter, keeps it charged and any charging current ( about 1-5 watts) helps keep its electrolyte temperature above ambient. I use the accessory socket, but do check and keep the battery terminals greased.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts