BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have about 4 wires running to my battery now for this and that with separate fusses. Things like Gerbings connections, alarm, ex lights & sockets, etc. I would like to get them off the battery and put elsewhere. So i was thinking that perhaps there is a block out there that I could run one wire to and then have all the connections off the block. Of coarse I would have to have 2 blocks, one for pos and one for neg.
The next question would be where to put it on my GT.

Any covered / protected blocks out there I can run several wires from? I would keep the individual fuses to each line since they are of different AMPage.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Possible help....

CA1200 said:
I must have about 4 wires running to my battery now for this and that with separate fusses. Things like Gerbings connections, alarm, ex lights & sockets, etc. I would like to get them off the battery and put elsewhere. So i was thinking that perhaps there is a block out there that I could run one wire to and then have all the connections off the block. Of coarse I would have to have 2 blocks, one for pos and one for neg.
The next question would be where to put it on my GT.

Any covered / protected blocks out there I can run several wires from? I would keep the individual fuses to each line since they are of different AMPage.
This was posted on one of my posts, maybe you did not see it.
Go here: http://www.centechwire.com/ You may find what your looking for.
"Centech AP-1, Aux. fuse panel" . I think one of the other guys mounted on under seat somewhere. Good luck ! .
OOPS.......Looks like Mr. Loggiebone beat me to it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Another option is www.bluesea.com fuse box. Marine grade and they come covered and with labels. You can have them in 4 to 12 circuits. I had two of the 6 circuits on my LT. First was for all the HID lights (4 lights), the radar detector and GPS. That was in the nose cone. Second one under the seat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

this is great info guys.
i see the Centech @ 50.00 fits under where i would put it. the other is a bit bigger @ 32.00. so, I will have to pick between them.

in any event, this is what i was looking for.

wish these bikes has a bit more space.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
I had thought of putting the electricals in the space now occupied by the tools, and moving the tools to the compartment under the seat. Do you think that this little weightshift will be feelable?

·
Registered
528 Posts
BillA said:
I had thought of putting the electricals in the space now occupied by the tools, and moving the tools to the compartment under the seat. Do you think that this little weightshift will be feelable?
I don't think so and it might make putting the seat on easier if you keep the electrics low.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Connections.....

CA1200 said:
this is great info guys.
i see the Centech @ 50.00 fits under where i would put it. the other is a bit bigger @ 32.00. so, I will have to pick between them.

in any event, this is what i was looking for.

wish these bikes has a bit more space.
I bought one of the "Blue Sea" blocks today at West Marine (model #5025, 6 port, $35.99 plus tax). I did not think it was that big, and I can return it. In the post there is a pic of a
"Centech" block, but I seriously doubt I will able to fit this one in that spot. That's a good idea about mounting in tool kit spot, but, do you guys think the tool kit will fit in space under seat?. I can try it, I have not as of yet. The Centech one may be the way to go, a little more money, but this time SIZE does matter.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Battery Connections

BillA said:

I put not only my fuse block in the tool box, but also my Autocom. Relocated my tool case to one of my side cases (secured with a velcro strip) which provides easy access.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put my tool bag in the compartment under the seat and the alarm in the toll caddy over the battery.
i will put my fuse block just like the guy who posted here showing his Sentech block.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put the Bluesea (Linc at www.2wheelinnovations.com has relays, connectors, wiring, advice, etc.) model in the tool tray with about 12 inches of 8 gauge wire connecting to the battery so the tray can be lifted out while connected. I cut slots in the side of the tray so the wires lead straight out from the lugs. Otherwise the wires will be too severely bent at the connector. I used a tie wrap to secure the block in the tray. I will put a piece of foam on the bottom of the tray for vibration isolation, but rode this year without it.

This is considerably bigger than the centech. I leaned this way because I thought the cover would be useful for weather protection. Long term this may be useful, but I've ridden in treacherous conditions and this was not an issue. Plus I don't carry any tools, so there was no tradeoff there for me.

8 gauge wire is not readily available at some car parts stores, but stereo installers have it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Connections......

Velomaxx said:
I put the Bluesea (Linc at www.2wheelinnovations.com has relays, connectors, wiring, advice, etc.) model in the tool tray with about 12 inches of 8 gauge wire connecting to the battery so the tray can be lifted out while connected.
Well, as mentioned I bought a Blue Sea #5025 yesterday for $35.99. Your site it was $26.99 ! . I may take it back just for spite. West Marine's prices are outrageous anyway, but boy, do they have a lot of stainless goodies. Same Fram oil filter I get for my car at WalMart at $3.49 was $10.89 at W.M!!. Have another site to check for "fuse blocks" if anybody is interested (courtesy of "Rider" magazine, that in the Jan. 06 one actually has an article on "Adding Electrical Accessories"). http://www.electricalconnection.com/index2.htm "Universal" Part # 02202 . $44.95 .
Good article, even explains about adding a voltmeter to keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Linc has good connectors & recommendations about wire sizes, lug types, etc. too. When I got into this it became apparent that just slapping these things together isn't the best idea. Having your HID headlight connectors vibrate loose in a rain storm isn't the best. Be choosey about these details. When I think about the relentless hammering this bike takes hour after hour it really shows how much thought it takes to put these things together right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts