BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install the power cable for my GPS this weekend. I intend to run it right off the battery to avoid any "canbus" issues.
My question is: I seem to recall hearing something about disconnecting the battery and something you should do after reconnecting it to avoid making faults in the bikes computer.
Has anyone any idea of what the I'm talking about? Are there fault codes placed in the bikes computer or any other problems that might be created when you disconnect and reconnect the battery? If so, what's the correct way to do it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm not sure if the K1200S is wired the same way as the R as far as the GPS is concerned. The R is pre-wired with a 3-wire connector just infront of the battery. The connector is zip-tied and has a cap on the end. If the S is the same way, then all you need is the appropriate BMW cable to connect the GPS to this connector.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I added, has as a few other, Powerlet outlet in the little fillet forward of the tank area. Battery was never disconnected; just loosened the, as I best remember, Phillips head screws and slipped the spade lugs under the screws and tightenened. The powerlet cable ass'y fused for 15 amps, etc. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mark, an advantage of running the GPS through the canbus (which is what I did) is that the GPS turns on and off with the bike. No need to remember to power the GPS off. I had a GPS on my last BMW - a K1200GT. I had that one wired direct to the battery and there were times I forgot to power down the GPS. I also have the radar detector wired to the canbus for the same reason. The other stuff (my tankbag, battery charging lead, etc.) is off the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What does resetting the ECU mean and why do we need to this. I intalled a radar detector which is wired directly to the battery did none of this. Simply unhooked the battery, installed the detector and hooked the battery back up. What should I do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just want to thank everybody for their input. Lots of good feedback (as usual). This topic has me thinking. Has anybody ever visited this site: http://www.r1200gs.info/ ?
It relates to the R1200GS but it's chock full of "how-to" info and photos to go with it. I referred to it often when doing my little projects on my R12GS and was thinking it would be nice if we had something like this for the K12S.

Raffy,
What BMW connector are you referring to? Is it built for the BMW GPS or just a generic connector? I'm using a Garmin GPS 60CS and the power cable is different from that of the 2610 series.

·
Registered
629 Posts
On my R, it's a 3-wire connector just ahead of the battery. I believe it is specific to the BMW NAV II GPS that is mounted to the center panel covering the battery. So, this may not work for your application.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts