BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
battery Tender

It will charge a car battery - if you have a lot of time. It will maintain it just fine.
H

·
Registered
236 Posts
kencorsun said:
OK, this is only vaguely related to bikes. Will a Battery Tender charge a car battery?

Ken
Although it probably does as others have stated, it may also be relative to the continual draw that the car may have. I have used a tender on my Corvette and it won't keep it charged. I guess with the drain from the clock, etc there was more consumption than the charger could replace. Honestly, haven't tried it on anything else, though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I left the door open on my car last night and the small door lights discharged the battery. I could call AAA, but I don't need the car today so I thought I'd try the Battery tender. I'll leave it on until tomorrow morning. I hope by then the battery is charged enough to start it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I didn't think a Battery Tender could charge a totally flat battery,motorcycle type or other type. I believe a battery had to have 8 volts residual power in it to be charged by a tender.
Bruce C

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

The battery was dead; it would not even light the dash lights nor turn over the engine (of the Toyota Camry). I left the Battery Tender on for about 22 hours. The car was in an unheated garage with the temperature about 40 degrees. The red light on the charger was still on in the morning as was the flashing green light indicating 80% charge. The car started immediately.

Bottom line: under the given circumstances a Battery Tender will charge a car battery sufficiently to start.

Ken

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ken,
I have 5 Battery Tenders. One keeps the dual Optima batteries topped off in my Dodge Diesel pickup truck. One for my Vette, One for my R100RS One for my R1100RT and one for my K1100LT.
They work great on all of them. Keeping all the batteries fully charged extends the life of the batteries tremendously.

Mick

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
bmwmick said:
Keeping all the batteries fully charged extends the life of the batteries tremendously.
I have the original battery in my Ducati, 7 1/2 years and still cranking. Keep it on a Battery Tender whenever it is parked. Don't forget to check the fluid level and keep it topped up, if you have a lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
rickd said:
I have the original battery in my Ducati, 7 1/2 years and still cranking. Keep it on a Battery Tender whenever it is parked. Don't forget to check the fluid level and keep it topped up, if you have a lead-acid battery.
Rick,
My batteries are ALL Lead-Acid batteries. :) Just not Flooded lead-acid. :) Mine are all AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) SLA's.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts