BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm installing a 50A alternator along with Euromoto Electric "upgraded" battery cables, I'm wondering if a Westco 30 amp sealed battery would be advisable (currenty have a 2yr old oem BMW one that's been discharged a couple of times).

Are the AGM's really much better than the OE battery ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a Wesco 20A in my K75S starting it's 6th season, still going strong. (no accessories) The OEM batteries I've had lasted 5 years max. Heard lot's of good things about Odyssey, especially in newer rides with Canbus, but I can't justify the price. I have the Westco charger for the winter and it sees plenty of duty with the cars and the kids 12 & 6V vehicles. Just for kicks, next battery I'm thinking about finding a garden tractor one for $30 just to see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would think that an improved alternator would reduce the capacity requirement for the battery, if anything? Unless the new alternator comes with extra lights and other electrical utilities that you plan to run off the battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do want to run GPS, some up-graded driving lights and 2 heated vests. Since the BMW battery is priced comperably to the Westco I'm wondering if it's got a better track record or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New 50A alternator, Euromoto cables and Westco 30AH battery working VERY well. At idle with cooling fan, hi-watt headlight and signals I'm getting a full 14V output. De-activating clock eliminated the voltage leakage issue I had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts