BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that the battery and hot start fix unapplied original relay be dropped on starter cranking to be strong but take the power down and it will not have enough to meet the engine control unit expected voltage and it is not starting because of that? The battery is dropping off to 11.0-11.2 and even with a jump box on it almost starts but if your connected to realtime test watching the fuel pressure it will crap out errors within ISTA D unlike times in the past where that didn't happen. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
359 Posts
Eleven volts is good. The wiring just does not carry the current. The kit adds a parallel wire from the battery to the starter relay and from the relay to the starter a heavy wire. You can do this yourself if your handy but will take work. The Kit is about 160$ and includes a new relay. It is a bit of a pain in the ass to install. You remove the gas tank. Route all the new wires along existing paths and secure well. Hardest part is installing the new relay socket.
Here is how to install the OEM hot start kit which I recommend. Works like a champ. I have had no problems after doing it.
OEM part # 1 241 853 2 735
Well my document does not have an allowed extension. So if you PM me I can email it to you. beech

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take a look here and see if this will work for you: HICAP starting upgrades for BMW motorcycles
I installed their kit on my Ducati and man what a world of difference. Basically they use better type of wire for conducting and their fittings and joints are better made.
My Ducati use to drag and drag on starting and now like their guarantee, starts in just a turn.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
359 Posts
Great lead, looks like a good kit. No need for the extra stuff BMW puts in their kit unless your start relay is toast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts