BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who may be considering insuring your vehicles with ANPAC please be aware of this:

I have insured a K-100 and a Honda Valkyrie with ANPAC for the past two years. No claims and no tickets. In April I added to the insurance my new 2003 K-1200RS. Now my premium is due for renewal and today I received a letter from ANPAC saying that they will terminate my policy for the followinmg reason:

Due to ineligible vehicle: K1200RS.

I live in Virginia, and I wonder if anyone has had similar situation in this state. They are terminating my policy on all three bikes just because now I have a K1200RS.

Is the KRS an illegal motorcycle in the US? Can an isurance company kick me out just for owning this bike model?

I own four cars which I insure them with a different company and I never had an accidents in my 30 years of driving. For the motorcycles I'm listed as the only driver. I have resumed riding about six years ago and I received a minor traffic ticked almost four years ago.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive reliable motorcycle insurance?

Thank you,

Pier

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was with Progressive and they wanted $1500 a year for my 04 KRS. Switched to Geico and it was $530 for better coverage and my cars were almost $1000 a year cheaper. It pays to shop.Don

·
Registered
531 Posts
in my opinion all insurance companies are thieves some more than others. you pay premiums for years and years and then if you do have a mishap insurance companies will do everything they can to keep from paying you. who knows the real reason ANPAC is dropping your coverage??????? i can't believe it's because you purchased a KRS although i've heard stories that some companies classify the KRS as a sport bike. a friend of mine who rides a 3 year old kawasaki cruiser was with progressive for two years and then suddenly out of the blue they tripled his rates. he hadn't had any accidents or tickets but they tripled his rates anyway. of course he cancelled because he wasn't prepared to pay 1200 bucks a year just for motorcycle insurance. i don't believe you have any legal recourse and even if you did would you still want to insure with ANPAC. I would shop around on line and see what you come up with and i'm sure the members of this board can steer you towards a company with reasonable rates.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check State Farm too - they classify bikes only based on CC's and not on whether it is a sportbike, cruiser or whatever. I pay about 600 / year on my RS - which for a (somewhat) young single guy isn't bad. They require you to carry at least one car with them too though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Comparing Insurance Rates is like comparing salaries... there are a lot lof variables (geograqphic, personal,etc) that determine cost and perceived value. That being said, I do shop around for m/c insurance and have found the best rates in my area (Columbus, Ga) from American Modern Insurance Co., underwritten through an independent agent. (Mike Griffiths in Alpharetta, Ga) My 100/300/50 UI/UM w/ 500/500 deds yearly policy just renewed with them last month on my '04 KGT ($402.00) and '05 DRZ400SM ($234.00) less the multi-bike discount ($64.00) bringing the total yearly premium to $572.00 for both bikes. Amer. Modern 'downrates' BMW's unit cc's because they consider them to be 'touring' bikes... Also I'm 48, married, 30+ yrs exp., no tickets, no accidents, no claims, etc... No affiliation or interest in either parties...YMMV... blah, blah, blah...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Unfortunately, and insurance company can fire you for no reason...so as everyone else says, it pays to shop around.

pier1 said:
To anyone who may be considering insuring your vehicles with ANPAC please be aware of this:

I have insured a K-100 and a Honda Valkyrie with ANPAC for the past two years. No claims and no tickets. In April I added to the insurance my new 2003 K-1200RS. Now my premium is due for renewal and today I received a letter from ANPAC saying that they will terminate my policy for the followinmg reason:

Due to ineligible vehicle: K1200RS.

I live in Virginia, and I wonder if anyone has had similar situation in this state. They are terminating my policy on all three bikes just because now I have a K1200RS.

Is the KRS an illegal motorcycle in the US? Can an isurance company kick me out just for owning this bike model?

I own four cars which I insure them with a different company and I never had an accidents in my 30 years of driving. For the motorcycles I'm listed as the only driver. I have resumed riding about six years ago and I received a minor traffic ticked almost four years ago.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive reliable motorcycle insurance?

Thank you,

Pier

·
Registered
486 Posts
Insurance depends on location, amoung other things

There are many variables to a determine insurance rates. One is where you live. My experience is that insurance companies are regulated by the state. Some states actually regulate insurance rates, others just rubber stamp rate requests. Also, where you live in the state makes a lot of difference. Insurance rates are higher in large metropolitan cities than in small towns. Of course the brand, model and horse power of the vehicle has a big effect on what you pay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rider did the same thing to me here in NJ. Saw I had a Busa on the policy and decided they didn't love me anymore. How they missed this when they originally wrote the policy 5 years ago is the big mystery. I went with Foremost and saved 400 bucks on 3 bikes, full coverage. They all suck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Geico

2 airheads, one oilhead.. and new K1200GT to be ..$1365 for all four..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Insurance

As mentioned before, insurance varies by state, bike, age, etc.......

I have been with Dairyland.......they hate sport bikes. Progressive....they aren't crazy about them either.

I spent 32 years in insurance before being shown the exit door a couple of years back. I have my K12 insured with American Modern Home for under $300 a year, which includes $7000 in extras. Of course I am old, and have a clean record. And I don't know if they write in your state, but it's worth looking into. I met their guys at the Dallas Motorcycle Show last year....they all came from Dairyland, nice folks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts