BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new to world of BMW bikes and have been shopping the K 1300 GT models. So far I’ve test ridden one at a BMW dealership and and still on the fence out it mostly due to some damage on a case and side panel as you can see here.

So far it’s been eye opening that replacement parts are $1600 before tax and the couple of paint folks I’ve talked to are hesitant to say the least in suggesting that refinishing is a lesser cost option. The dealership also replaced the fuel pump last month with 50,000 miles on the bike.

In addition to that one another dealership has one 33,000 miles, less cosmetic issues, with the large color matched top case and in the darker metallic color that I prefer, and is asking $200 more. Both of them are 2009 models. However, the other dealership (non BMW) is a 20hr drive away.

I’m hoping to glean as much information upfront about the potential service costs associated with these bikes. Having compared a service record parts list/price with the internet prices, it doesn’t appear that some parts cost less on the internet when compared with dealer prices. However, I am mechanically inclined and have not ever needed to take a bike in for service other than for regular service of tires and brakes.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
394 Posts
I have a 2009 K1300GT and I would say get the color that you want. You can also get the damaged panels repainted for less that $1,600. I once drove from South Texas to Arizona to get a new bike because it was a limited edition and the exact color that I wanted. As far as maintenance, the most expensive service is a valve adjustment because of the radiator removal and all of the parts that go with it. If you check the valves and they need adjusting, you have to remove the cams to change the shims. I usually leave this up to my indie mechanic. Make sure all of the recalls have been performed (fuel pump, rear hub, cam chain jump guard and fuel map update).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second dealer sent me images of the bikes service records that were performed at a BMW dealership near the bikes location. I'm going to look them over in detail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2009 K1300GT and I would say get the color that you want. You can also get the damaged panels repainted for less that $1,600. I once drove from South Texas to Arizona to get a new bike because it was a limited edition and the exact color that I wanted. As far as maintenance, the most expensive service is a valve adjustment because of the radiator removal and all of the parts that go with it. If you check the valves and they need adjusting, you have to remove the cams to change the shims. I usually leave this up to my indie mechanic. Make sure all of the recalls have been performed (fuel pump, rear hub, cam chain jump guard and fuel map update).
There is one invoice from July 2018 that is for the parts and labor to repair the final drive. Is that the rear hub you mentioned?

It also appears that the brake pads have about 7,000 miles on them from 2015
The front RDC sensor was replaced 1,000 miles ago in June 2018
Front and rear tires have about 3,000 miles on them from 2017

There was nothing in any of the images that mentions a fuel pump replacement, rear hub, cam chain jump guard, or fuel map update. I think I'll call the dealership that performed the work mentioned above and ask them if they did perform the recall services. From what I can tell, the bike has had two owners prior to being at this dealer.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
394 Posts
The invoice you may be for the hub. I would have the dealer verify that. The file pump replacement was an issue with the collar on the fuel pump. If there were no cracks, they would add a collar ring. If it was cracked, they would replace the fuel pump. On a 2009 the jump guard should be there, but it is an easy check.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The invoice you may be for the hub. I would have the dealer verify that. The file pump replacement was an issue with the collar on the fuel pump. If there were no cracks, they would add a collar ring. If it was cracked, they would replace the fuel pump. On a 2009 the jump guard should be there, but it is an easy check.
I just got more customer service than I expected. Called the dealer's service dept on the invoices and the guy verified the fuel pump was replaced under warranty in 2015. Forgot to ask about the jump guard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Missed out on a ‘09 K 1300 GT in my area. Guy sold it while we were heading to him to see it. Oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts