BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know exactly if I have the nomenclature right, but I'm Dutch so the technical English is a bit difficult for me. I ride a 2003 K1200GT and this week I heard a noise coming from the engine which didn't sound ok. So I took it too the shop and it seems that the main bearing of the drive train was completely gone. They told me the repair price was €1500-2000 and as it is out of the warranty at 2.6 years I'd have to pay €400.-myself. I want to know if there are other people with this problem and what BMW did about it. I said they have to do better than that to keep me happy and they are still working on that.
The mileage is 21.000 km and it just went for the 20.000 service. I ride just for the fun. The bike had clutch problems at 3000 km.
Is this an inborn error?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
sphyrnidus said:
I don't know exactly if I have the nomenclature right, but I'm Dutch so the technical English is a bit difficult for me. I ride a 2003 K1200GT and this week I heard a noise coming from the engine which didn't sound ok. So I took it too the shop and it seems that the main bearing of the drive train was completely gone. They told me the repair price was €1500-2000 and as it is out of the warranty at 2.6 years I'd have to pay €400.-myself. I want to know if there are other people with this problem and what BMW did about it. I said they have to do better than that to keep me happy and they are still working on that.
The mileage is 21.000 km and it just went for the 20.000 service. I ride just for the fun. The bike had clutch problems at 3000 km.
Is this an inborn error?
You said that it was the main bearing of the drive train. Would this be the main bearing of the rear drive? I ask because there are a number of K1200LT folks that have had issues with the rear drive (ring and pinion set). Somewhere around 5% failure rate? The LT folks have kept an unoffical record of it, and I thought it was 5%. A couple of instances where the RS/GT have had complaints, but I'd say it is a rare occurrence on them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Could also be a main engine bearing

The rear drive bearing is a known problem on the LT, but I've seen more engine bearing failure reports than rear drive failures on the RS/GT posted on the forums.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i would have just provided a link to my thread on this but seems the older site has been archived somewhere and i cant find it. i dont mean to go on about it but since you have the same probs ill type more.

i have a 98 model, 23,000 miles. looks new. i bought it two years ago with 12,000 miles. in the time i have had it i have needed a new clutch ($1000) a new steeing dampner (300) some other crap i cant remember right now ($800) and now it spun a rod bearing! $2,500!!!!! OMG! i asked bmw to give some consideration seeing as engines built correctly dont spin rod bearings and thow rods at 23,000 miles. maybe discount on parts at least. but they replied "clearly out of warranty, clearly not liable" - no shit, thanks. i thought they might care about their brand, or feel a bit embarassed, or cared about selling me another bmw at some point in the future. not the case. to add to it it has been in the shop since sept 15th or so. STILL dont have it. thats about a week and a half shy of TWO MONTHS! i am so happy. and they still need a part because they packed the brand new 1000 dollar crank shaft from germany with one bearing (or bearing seat - i cant remember) the wrong size. i could not be more dissapointed in a machine or a company. and to top it off here in the colorado mountains it has been the warmest fall in a long time. all roads hgave been clear and the days gorgeous. i'll get it back (might have to tow it depending on the snowfall), and put it in the garage for the next 3-4 months. i could go on.

but our problems sound VERY similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
main engine bearing

I'm not completely sure, but I think the guy at the shop said it was the main engine bearing. But I'll ask him next week and will let you know. I have to say it's not the first time I had trouble with BMW, I have had a lot of problems with my last bike, a R1100RS, beyond believe actually and now this €21.000 machine has left me by the side of the road twice so maybe I should by a Jap if they don't take care of the bill themselves.
I feel with you cvliv for what they do the people who are willing to buy these machines and then get this kind of treatment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The old i-bmw.com is archived in the "Community Archive Forums" located on the main Forum page just below the bikes. It is completely searchable and you can either post a link to the thread, or cut and paste the particular post you want to refer to.

FYI, an easy way to make any cut and pasted object stand out as not being part of your new post is to use the QUOTE tag. You simply place the cut and pasted text between [*QUOTE]and the [*/QUOTE] . You keep the brackets, but eliminate both "*" (I had to put these in there to show the command, otherwise it would have performed it!!).

Randy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is the warranty in Europe different than the US? Here it is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. You would qualify here.

Randy

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The warranty in the Netherlands is 2 years and there's no plan for extended warranty. It was one year when I bought the R1100RS in 1995. The mileage warranty is 100.000 km, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
398 Posts
andy45320 said:
Damn canadians...your unlimited miles and unlimited healthcare :)
Yeah, but don't forget the "unlimited cold" and "unlimited snow" in the winter! :) You gotta know that it was factored in when they decided on the terms of the warranty. It would be interesting to compare average Canadian BMW rider 3yr mileage to the average American?? Given differences in riding seasons (on avg), in reality, our warranty really isn't any better. Dunno???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts