BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 k-1200rs and she has given me nothing but riding excellence since I bought her, although I ride very sporadically due to work and family. I went for an evening ride and the bike ran as smooth as usual, but about 5 miles out of town I stopped at a 4-way and all hell broke loose. At first I thought the drive train had an issue because it dropped off and the tach went to zero, but as I turned the corner and accelerated there was very little power, it felt as though I’d pulled 2 of the 4 plugs out, sluggish and a dead tach. I pulled off and let it cool down while I visually inspected for anything wrong but found nothing. I then fired up and limped home thinking maybe something would “clear out” and it would perk up.

I read into the issue and the only thing I’ve found was a possible dead or dying coil but I’m hesitant to buy one until I get a little more feedback one way or another. I’ve ridden all my life and I can do regular maintenance on 70’s bikes but I have left all work on this bike to BMW dealers. I've pulled the cowl and checked the plugs and they are not fouled, and I can't find any crimped or unattached wiring.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as summer is quickly fading and the leaves are on the way.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
re

Not unlike my problem recently. Turned out to be a petrol pump with an intermittent fault. Could not stop the damn thing on the work bench.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The Fuel pump is an easy check, just get a fuel pump pressure testing kit, about $25 at Harbor Freight, and check pressure when you turn the key on with kill switch in on Pos. and tranny is in Neutral, should read 53 PSI.
Then start engine and be sure it stays at 53PSI, give or take a pound or 2.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts