BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on another site that when doing the power cup races, the bellpan would drag / hit the ground on the k12R! I was wondering if the belly pan on the k12S hits as well? I am hoping that some of you have done track days...( and therefore speak w/ first hand knowledge).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Racegun said:
I was reading on another site that when doing the power cup races, the bellpan would drag / hit the ground on the k12R! I was wondering if the belly pan on the k12S hits as well? I am hoping that some of you have done track days...( and therefore speak w/ first hand knowledge).
Never done a trackday on the K12S, but I completely removed my chickenstrips on US Hwy 1 on a recent California trip and never had any parts dragging. :tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have done about 1,500 kms around Phillip Island GP track in the past six months and haven't touched the tarmac with the fairing. You can scrape the pegs without dragging the lower fairing. I did clip a ripple strip one day with a fairly extreme lean angle and touched the gear lever and the lower side of the fairing however.But under normal circumstances on the edge of the tyre its not a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I posted a message on the i-bmw forum in regards to someone asking about dragging the centerstand.

I have a photo showing a S leaned over, and you can see plenty of clearance for both the center stand and the fairing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
gan1hck said:
I posted a message on the i-bmw forum in regards to someone asking about dragging the centerstand.

I have a photo showing a S leaned over, and you can see plenty of clearance for both the center stand and the fairing.
You mean this one?

Note the center stand installed!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just did Pocono International, the FUSA track, on my K1200S this morning and the belly pan rubbed only at one point. At that particular spot on the track there is a sharp left-hander that has a sudden rise just past the apex, when you're still in full lean if you're up to speed. In the brief moment that the front wheel is on the higher surface and the rear is on the lower surface, the actual point of rise contacts the back of the belly pan when in full lean. I have a nice brush-stroke like scrape on the left rear of the pan. I'll try to post a pic, if I get around to it.

For what it's worth though, many other bikes scraped their pans on that spot and nowhere else on the track, including my friend's CBR600RR (which admittedly doesn't have as much clearance as the K-S). Also, I've never scraped the belly pan in any other location on the street or other tracks, despite being in full lean on many rough and uneven surfaces.

Bottom line, I've never heard of anyone else scraping their K-S's bellypan, and though I get pretty aggressive in the corners on my K-S, I'm willing to be that there are those here who put me to shame. I think that it happened to me only because of a freak combination of road surface (track) and the required lean to complete the turn at speed. On the street I may not have been leaned over quite as much as I was on the track and therefore in a "real-life situation" that rise may not have even registered a hit on the bellypan.

I can't say what would have happened if I hadn't removed the centerstand last night.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sportrider said:
Dude...that is the most extreme lean angle I've seen on an S bike - hat's off!

Do ya think he has any chicken strips?...Of course depending on the tire, suspension settings, rider "hang off" technique, the strip may not be a chicken strip at all... but instead a point of no return strip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I scraped the left side in 2 spots when I was showing my son how to get his knee down. I hit it twice. It hits on the ridge just below the painted fairing and in the middle of the back of the v.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Racegun said:
mheck5,
the day you scraped the bottom, can you recall the settings on the ESA?

...if you don't mind, how much mass is the bike carring ( trying to figure a delicate way to ask)

and were you riding 8/10 or less, 9/10 , 10/10 or > 10/10's

Yes, good questions, I 'd like to know too.

In my photo:

mass: 70 kg or 155 lbs
preload: 1 helmet
damping: comfort

I was riding 8 to 9/10: when my pucks touch down, I slow down....so I've never scraped anything on my bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I weigh 210lbs and I had the ESA set to sport, solo I think. I'm also 53 years old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
gan1hck said:
that's it!!
if this is the best you can do and you have to hang out of your bike like an ape when youre doing a turn with this angle you have al lot to learn...this is really not so extreme sorry (you propably call me an bigmouth now but i don,t care,.....see you on the track guys)

·
Registered
288 Posts
nothing drags so far

Set suspension to Sport, one helmet luggage. I've logged about 450 track miles and 11,000 street, nothing should be dragging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What are you talking about. The bike can't be leaned over any further without jacking the tires off the ground. Show me your best shot then talk.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts