1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks for this, very interesting. So detailed you could almost see them not tighten the cam drive sprocket bolts properly... :D

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
smiller said:
Thanks for this, very interesting. So detailed you could almost see them not tighten the cam drive sprocket bolts properly... :D
:rotf:

I did notice the new hollow cams have a single large round-head bolt stuck through the end of the cam, rather than the weakened lobe/flange and two smaller screws used on the Slant/4 engines.

Interesting . . .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Cool....did you buy one yet? ;)

Interesting to see how many of the current 12/13 design features have carried over. Thankfully NOT the cam! Almost looks like it might hold up for a while. :clap:

One thing that is glaringly obvious though. They certainly do have a rather quiet / pretentious / uptight / German attitude going on in their work environment. Not that it's bad bad thing to be focused but..... just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Hey, I heard hammers in the background of one of those videos. That can't be good. Probably one of my future bikes. :D

I did notice they use women on their graphics. I was at some BMW rally and the Shoei helmet USA honcho was there and he told us they found woman can do graphics far better than men can and it is obvious if you look at their higher end X-12 graphics helmets which seem to have some 3D depth to them in the sunlight. Interesting the Germans found that too.

Like their paint booth robotic stuff, although I found myself saying, "Hey! You missed a spot!"

Yeah, I saw that new cam layout on the 1600 engine. Seems they learned their lesson on the two dogs driving anther gear set and another cam too off one. Too much inertia for what they were moving down the line for those two little ears on the intake cam.

That 1600 engine sure has a lot of very high-pitched whine though. Don't know how I'd like that and probably would need ear plugs to stop that. Maybe a different pipe if that is where the whine is coming from. Never heard a 6 banger Gold Wing make that much high-pitched noise.

I did like that yellow S1000RR at the end though. A bit of ghost flames and it would be hot! :clap:

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
GMack said:
....That 1600 engine sure has a lot of very high-pitched whine though. ....

Mack
This is their way covering up or adding to the other signature sounds.....you know...the clunk....the grind....the box of rocks....the tap....the chatter....now we have the "whine"! ....NO wait.....that's just the sound of disgruntled owners. :D

Seriously though it does look like they've at least learned a few lessons from the current GT's. It sure would be nice to see them put something out that gets back into that 6 figure mileage with confidence range. I like the idea of a 5 year unlimited or some such higher mileage warranty. Sure would go a long way towards the confidence factor.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Robert_W said:
Seriously though it does look like they've at least learned a few lessons from the current GT's.
Well technically BMW never 'learns a lesson.' They just make totally unrelated, coincidental design changes. :D

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GMack said:
That 1600 engine sure has a lot of very high-pitched whine though.
That's just the classic K-whine, updated for the new decade. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Boy, what an unreliable pile of dung the K13 is/was compared to the new bike. Just knowing I may have to replace a timing chain and possibly cams under an extended warranty many, many thousands of miles and years down the road has me convinced to trade this turd now.

I'm sure the K16 won't need a timing chain as the years and miles roll by.....Let's see my Concours did at 67K, my buddies FJ did, etc.

The devil I know is better than the devil I don't know until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Really enjoyed the heck out of those videos Ken, thanks so much for posting the links. If I didn't still enjoy my 2008 model GT I'd seriously be in the market for the new bike. And with only 9,000 miles I've hardly even broken it in, right?

What was the substance the engine builders were applying to the blocks and components? I'm speaking specifically of the bright orange brushes. I know what the dots mean from the pens, but I'm unsure about the orange brushes. My guess is oil of some sort.

Great viewing for those of us who are fans of BMW.

·
Registered
677 Posts
eng943 said:
Boy, what an unreliable pile of dung the K13 is/was compared to the new bike. Just knowing I may have to replace a timing chain and possibly cams under an extended warranty many, many thousands of miles and years down the road has me convinced to trade this turd now.

I'm sure the K16 won't need a timing chain as the years and miles roll by.....Let's see my Concours did at 67K, my buddies FJ did, etc.

The devil I know is better than the devil I don't know until proven otherwise.
I don't recommend buying early production of anything more complicated than a shovel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
dpancerz said:
Really enjoyed the heck out of those videos Ken, thanks so much for posting the links. If I didn't still enjoy my 2008 model GT I'd seriously be in the market for the new bike. And with only 9,000 miles I've hardly even broken it in, right?

What was the substance the engine builders were applying to the blocks and components? I'm speaking specifically of the bright orange brushes. I know what the dots mean from the pens, but I'm unsure about the orange brushes. My guess is oil of some sort.

Great viewing for those of us who are fans of BMW.
Yep, assembly lube. All those bearing surfaces are dry coming to assembly and they need some lube to assist with assembly and to provide lube before oil pump delivers oil.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for posting these films I thoughly enjoyed them . Been a big BMW fan for a while had an 06 GT for 3 years now into the 2nd year with the 09 1300 GT .
The new 1600 GT comes to our dealership in April so I have first refusal on the first demo one they sell - bought all my bikes this way makes sense in the UK let someone else pay all the new bike taxes/VAT etc.
Noticed a strong negative fibe about a few of your posters , guessing the BMW experience is not totally enjoyed everywhere ????
Dave :popcorn:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Robert_W said:
This is their way covering up or adding to the other signature sounds.....you know...the clunk....the grind....the box of rocks....the tap....the chatter....now we have the "whine"! ....NO wait.....that's just the sound of disgruntled owners. :D

Seriously though it does look like they've at least learned a few lessons from the current GT's. It sure would be nice to see them put something out that gets back into that 6 figure mileage with confidence range. I like the idea of a 5 year unlimited or some such higher mileage warranty. Sure would go a long way towards the confidence factor.
To me a warranty is not the answer. It is like putting a bandaid on a major wound. A warranty does save money but does nothing for the inconvenience of being broken down in death valley or without your bike for 5 months during riding season or using up you vacation time making repeated visits to the dealer or skinning your knuckles replacing a headlight rear gasket which the dealer forgot to...

To steal an old Ford slogan the quality needs to go in before the name goes on.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
remphoto said:
To me a warranty is not the answer. It is like putting a bandaid on a major wound. A warranty does save money but does nothing for the inconvenience of being broken down in death valley or without your bike for 5 months during riding season or using up you vacation time making repeated visits to the dealer or skinning your knuckles replacing a headlight rear gasket which the dealer forgot to...

To steal an old Ford slogan the quality needs to go in before the name goes on.
Totally agree Rem....in my head nothing but time and seeing a few trouble free years and a few trouble free models role off the line will ever get me back to any sort of reasonable comfort zone with their products.

But I can tell you that I would much rather have been without a bike for many months AND still have an extra $10-12k in my pocket! :(

G-DAVE said:
Noticed a strong negative fibe about a few of your posters , guessing the BMW experience is not totally enjoyed everywhere ????
Dave
(inset sarcasm here) Nah...not here Dave.....we're all happy as clams! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Robert_W said:
Totally agree Rem....in my head nothing but time and seeing a few trouble free years and a few trouble free models role off the line will ever get me back to any sort of reasonable comfort zone with their products.

But I can tell you that I would much rather have been without a bike for many months AND still have an extra $10-12k in my pocket! :(

(inset sarcasm here) Nah...not here Dave.....we're all happy as clams! :D
Yeah, we are the happy owners/former owners of the ultimate driving (or is it riding) machines. :D

Ironically I just posted over on the bimmerforums auto board about how happy I am with BMW autos. We are now on our 5th new bimmer plus a MINI. We have had zero, nada, no problems with these cars and the dealers really seem to know what they are doing. I couldn't resist contrasting it with the ineptness of the BMW motorcycle division.

And Robert, I hear you about the money. I hated having to spend $250/weekend to rent a Harley while my in-warranty BMW sat gathering dust in the dealer's shop. Then I spent $20,000 to buy a Goldwing while BMW attempted to sort everything out. Best investment I ever made.

·
Registered
142 Posts
G-DAVE said:
Thanks for posting these films I thoughly enjoyed them . Been a big BMW fan for a while had an 06 GT for 3 years now into the 2nd year with the 09 1300 GT .
The new 1600 GT comes to our dealership in April so I have first refusal on the first demo one they sell - bought all my bikes this way makes sense in the UK let someone else pay all the new bike taxes/VAT etc.
Dave :popcorn:
Fortunately those not enjoying the experience are the slim minority. It's been a bit of a bumpy road of teething problems with the K12/K13 as you probably know.

Luckily, BMW killed the bike just as they appeared to have it nicely sorted out. :clap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts