BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....

After you can't ride any longer, what's the best 4 wheeled vehicle to replace a motorcycle with???

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depends on how you judge that you're too old, and your preferences for performance.

I'm 66 and have a dodgy left knee. If I drop the K13GT I'll need help. So don't drop it.

I like bimmers and have had a couple dozen. None were new; I fix 'em and ride a while then sell. If you choose carefully and do your own work, you can make a hundred bucks or three here and there. I'm not a speed demon. My K13GT was recently down for two months and I drove a '94 525i with auto trans and buggered accelerator linkage (which I recently fixed, big improvement) that a pal gave me fo' free. The car is slow but it is comforting to be inside the cage, so much mental overhead is relieved. And rain? Where I'm going we don't care about RAIN.

It's up to you...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on...
A 525i would be fun and to run on back roads.

Before my youngest daughter claimed it, I had a VW diesel Jetta that was a blast on back roads.

The Vette would be incredible but would need to be taken to the track to push it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A Honda S2000! I continue to ride my K1200S and bought my S2000 new in 2002. It redlines at 9-10k and feels like a bike engine! It handles like a go cart while also giving all the comforts of a car ie A/C, nice seats, a good heater, install a custom stereo, and has a nice power soft top that gors up or down in about 10s. I love it! After 93k miles I have only had to replace a single coil. Other than that just routine maintenance, fluids, pads etc. Still on same fan belt and same clutch! Clutches seem to live well over 100k for most drivers. check out s2k.com for more!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I vote for a Ski-jet water craft. It floats. You don't need a helmet that gets in the way of the wind in you hair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you can handle the criticism of people calling it a girls car ... a Miata. You can pick them up cheap and they are simply awesome. My wife has a 96 and I daily drive a 05 bmw 330ci (also awesome), but if I could only have one it would be the Miata. Dirt cheap and as pure a driving experience as it gets. I feel almost as free and definitively as vulnerable in the Miata as i do on my k12gt

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you can handle the criticism of people calling it a girls car ... a Miata. You can pick them up cheap and they are simply awesome. My wife has a 96 and I daily drive a 05 bmw 330ci (also awesome), but if I could only have one it would be the Miata. Dirt cheap and as pure a driving experience as it gets. I feel almost as free and definitively as vulnerable in the Miata as i do on my k12gt
Yes the C4 (1984-1996) was and sometimes still is called a Girls car, a Barbee Doll car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
These pictures of the C8 were from the Reveal in Tustin CA. my club was invited to on 7/18/19

" media="(max-width: 640px)"> " media="(max-width: 960px)"> " media="(max-width: 1920px)">

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="KpztZMk"><a href="//imgur.com/KpztZMk"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="PIsdkXW"><a href="//imgur.com/PIsdkXW"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

·
Registered
27 Posts
The new C8 is beautiful and surely fast, but as long as I have functional limbs, it’s not a option for me. If it doesn’t come with a manual I’m not interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts