·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of people have had trouble viewing the pic inline, so here's the direct link:

http://s3.postimage.org/1z_Li-781ced8b.jpg

No additional info, just a picture collage. Looks pretty legit to me, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like it. Seems to have a more aggresive style than the current GT and certainly the LT. I also like the tall tank which reminds me of my GS. I also like more of the engine being exposed.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tundra61 said:
I also like the tall tank which reminds me of my GS.
How many gallons? ;)

Tundra61 said:
I also like more of the engine being exposed.
Me, too, but for different reasons.

The current Slant/4 motor has a couple of threaded bosses on the underside of the cylinder bank that would be a perfect highway peg mount - if it wasn't for the damn side fairings. So hopefully the same bosses are on the Slant/6 motor, and there's easily room for a highway peg bracket to come out between the cylinders and the exhaust pipes.

I sure hope they have one at the Cycle World show in Long Beach . . .

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
About mounting pegs to the engine, it could prove costly.

There have been a few guys on the S1000RR forum that mounted frame sliders on the bike's frame. For some when it falls over, it punched a hole through the frame and totals out the bike on cost of replacement. If the GTL falls over with pegs mounted to the engine, I could foresee a cracked engine casing leading to a $15K engine replacement. I think I saw where the engine weighs 225 pounds so there's not much metal there to begin with. Or make sure they fold or snap off first.

It will most likely be at the Long Beach Show. Seems BMW does most of their new bike USA public viewing entry's at that one.

Mack

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, they'd have to be engineered well. Either to bend or to break away as you said, or maybe to be more rigid as in proper crash bars.

Maybe something like this (for the K1200R):

Plus that would allow you to use standard bar-mounted pegs, and give you some flexibility as to where to mount the pegs to. And maybe even make a good aux light mount as well. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
It does look like an LT had sex with a GT! :D

I sure hope that tour-pack comes off........

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the trunk and saddlebags are easily removable, like the current GT/RT bikes.

Remember, this is the GT-L version. There's also a "sportier" GT version with less goodies on it . . .

·
Registered
749 Posts
Lots of complaints about the looks, but I think once that topcase is taken off it will improve appearance significantly :)

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And again, there is a GT version without the top case . . .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Meese said:
The things I dont like are:

- the slap on plastic chrome cover over the duct

- the GTL big chrome letters - its the same type of font as used on the cars but it does not match or fit well on the bike

The things I like are:

- the trunk accents

- the integration of armrests into the trunck (very GL like)

- clear lens rear tailight with LED technology

- more exposed engine - if it was blackened like the 1300R it would look really cool

The thing I absolutely love.........

The Angel Eyes Active lights - those things are going to rock!!

Overall bike design looks great - appears beefier than the 1300 but not bloated

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
So does any one think that a valve job will be easier on this thing? Sure looks like the cover is a lot more accessible. Maybe no ripping off the radiator? Hmmmm....

So Ken.....have you ordered one yet? :teeth

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Back end looks a bit 'bobbed' in the Photoshop one. Maybe the rear rack extends a bit more?

Either way, I'm awaiting to see what BMW comes up with on the next generation RT in maybe 2012-2013? Lighter weight, more durable, no more funky fuel pump connectors or final drive issues EVER!. More user serviceable friendly, maybe hydraulic lifters that don't need adjustments ever. Oh, and doesn't cost a second loan on the house in the event it falls over by accident at a gas pump or by the damn wind -- I hope.

Buck up and offer a 5-year warranty and service like on their cars too. If Polaris Victory can offer a 5 year warranty on their bikes, BMW should be able too if they think they are that good.

Mack

·
Registered
163 Posts
Victory and BMW are 2 very different bikes, my BMW had been in the shop more times in 1,800 miles then my Vic had in 18,000 miles and now with 5,000 miles on the BMW has been in the shop even more. Victory is the new quality and reliable bike on the market, I just think the Vision is UGLY and while I loved my Vegas its a different riding style. If soccer mom had not run that stop sign, I would still have my Vic and it still would have been in the shop less then my BMW.

I love my GT and will keep it at least while under warranty and I hope much longer but if I had known a Vic dealer was going to open only 10 miles away I would have NEVER looked at a BMW.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GMack said:
Lighter weight, more durable, no more funky fuel pump connectors or final drive issues EVER!. More user serviceable friendly, maybe hydraulic lifters that don't need adjustments ever.
And it'll weigh just 350 lbs and get 100 mpg, too. :hysterica

1 - 19 of 19 Posts