BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am planning a trip for this summer. july/august.
from Denver to Wyoming, SD, Montana, Idaho.

would like some input as to who makes the best tent.
1) something that packs well.
2) good quality.
3) room for one man plus luggage.

with or without ground cloth

appreciate the help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have an REI store in town that's where I bought mine ... er ... 12 years ago. I don't have the name of my tent handy - it's probably called something else anyway. Features I like are shock corded poles that clip on to the tent (easy to put up) and a separate rain fly. I also cut a piece of plastic tarp to fit the footprint of the tent. It all fits into a bag which is approx 18" long and about as round as a rolled up Sunday paper.

REI has good quality stuff. here's a link
http://www.rei.com/index.jsp

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I really like my most recent tent purchase, a Black Diamond Lighthouse. Won the Best Tent Award from Backpacker in 2004.

REI sells them. Link.

I'm in CA and the tent is not considered fireproof so they couldn't ship here so I got it from CampSaver or some Denver online camping supplier who did.

Not having a fly, it takes up far smaller space on the bike than a tent that does have one. It's a bit roomier too. No condensation and it is drum-tight when set up. Nice yellow fabric makes mornings a cheerier experience. The silicon fabric won't (supposedly) break down and get sticky in a few years like poly-coated tents will.

Company's website.

Get a Big Agnes Summit Park +15 degrees large down sleeping bag, their pad and air pilllow and you are all set. :yesnod:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Geez, I can't even remember the tent that I bought for backpacking. BUT, it is great. A single person tent that doesn't have to be staked out (but can be for the vestibule. Sets up nice and quick and has an optional ground sheet. With it I could take my stuff in side that I needed, leave my pack in the vestibule and it was quite comfortable. I'm 5'10" and it was just right, may fit someone up to 6' but no more.

If you want to find a decent tent, look into stores that sell to Back Packers (the overnight stuff). They are generally very functional, light and pack up well with good weather protection. I'd go for 3 season. You'll likely spend $200+ but they are worth it. Also, get a good bag, again 3 season. I wouldn't get down but get a good fiber fill of some kind (polarguard or something like it). Look at the weight of the bags, with a compression bag to put it in, it'll get pretty small (but remember to put it into a nice large cotton bag for storage so it can fluff and air out).

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
REI's stuff is great, but it's DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!

Eureka Apex 2XTA (the 2XT is cheaper, but aluminum poles are better than the fiberglass). I got mine on sale for $79 with a $30 rebate. A first class tent forn just a little bit more than $25 cheapo tent at Target.

·
What, we're out of glue??
88 Posts
I've done tons of climbing/backpacking etc. and my feeling is you pretty much get what you pay for.

I've always gone high end with North Face tents, they are of course stupid expensive for casual use. However, when you get caught in a thunderstorm with 80 mph winds it is still there in the morning - and so are you, dry and comfortable.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0208/gear_ultralight.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
check out Mountain Gear they carry all the brands... shop around but don't buy from them... they sell all retail... Mountain Hardwear makes amazing tents... look around on Bent Gate Mountaineering's website... they have great deals and run lots of sales... Moose Jaw is another great site but again you'll find mostly retail prices... Mountain Hardwear makes a great 3 season tent... it's an investment but it will be the last tent you ever buy.

Mountain Gear

Bent Gate Mountaineering

Moose Jaw

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all that replied to the initial post.
i purchased a Black Diamond Skylight off ebay.
light weight and packs well.
thanks again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts