BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did Cooma to Tumbarumba. In my mind this is the best bike road in Oz and I have never seenbetter on the web. Great surface, plus you can go like hell and probably cannot exceed the speed limit. Saw little traffic. Beats the Great Ocean Road and Black Spur for sure.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Papilio said:
Just did Cooma to Tumbarumba. In my mind this is the best bike road in Oz and I have never seenbetter on the web. Great surface, plus you can go like hell and probably cannot exceed the speed limit. Saw little traffic. Beats the Great Ocean Road and Black Spur for sure.
Hey Pap, I did that ride in March and it was sensational and challenging.
Another ride I did in the same trip I also rate really highly was the Putty Road from Singleton down to Western Sydney.
Unfortunately the day after I did the Cooma - Tumbarumba ride I had a diff failure in Bermagui and the bike is still sitting in Canberra :boom:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Twisties

Guys if you want twisties go to NZ!They have some of the best road ever,just finished 2 weeks riding the South Is, with about 20 others from Horsham.And to add insult to injury the police are even halfway decent!Just flash you and turn lights on to get you to slow down.Guess they cant be bothered with booking you!
Want good roads and tons of fun...off to NZ!
cheers Andrew
K1200S

·
Registered
331 Posts
They booked me OK on the South Island for doing 115 in a 100 zone between Greymouth and Franz Joseph Glacier. Maybe the fact that I was in a car was the difference or that I was on a dead straight section of road with zero traffic where they could easily turn around.

Most of the roads are too narrow and winding for the cops to turn so they probably can't be bothered. Anyway, they wouldn't be able to go fast enough to catch you with the corners they have to negotiate. Certainly is great fun driving there and would love to ride in NZ. The next best would be NW Tasmania, which is fairly similar and easier to get your bike to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Papilio,

When you say Cooma to Tumbarumba........ which way?
From Cooma over the sweepers to Kiandra there is just the one way. But did you then go via say Batlow to the north, Khancoban to the south, or straight (make that twist) through the middle down the Elliot Way?

All sensational roads, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm from Newcastle, but made the journey 3 times in six weeks to do a lap of those roads. Plus the Khancoban to Jindabyne, Bright over Hotham and through Omeo. Lesser roads like the Mt Imlay Rd, the Cathcart bends to Bombala, Brown Mountain...... all near Cooma.

My favourite?

The Ox................The Oxley Highway: NSW Hwy number 34

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kiandra way. Have driven the south in NZ. Scenery was probably better than Switzerland, but I still say these are the best twisties I have encountered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts