BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got melted boot on my exhaust (K1200GT) right where your heel falls on the right side. Not a big deal, just be a good side project. What's the best way to clean the metal without getting the grinder out?

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
In a similar thread somewhere, the final solution was to use oven cleaner, such as Easy-Off. I haven't tried it personally, but I remember that the person who tried it was impressed with how well it worked and how easy it was to do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use 0000 steel wool and either Son of a Gun or Armor All. This method even works on chrome without scratching.

Be very careful with oven cleaner... use it on the wrong material and kiss it goodbye. I had a friend try to clean mag wheels with oven cleaner. They became permanently corroded and pitted. It looked like he washed them with battery acid.

·
Registered
222 Posts
WD-40 works very well. I used a scotch brite pad the middle roughness green one a couple of years ago. This put a really cool brushed mat finish on the high polish stainless steel stock pipe. Now my cleanings are super easy. I just use the same green pad and WD-40 to get off tar and melted boot rubber.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Exhaust cleaner

I use Prepwash wax and grease remover.An Australian product but sure we copied it from you guys.It is used to clean cars when they are being repainted etc available at car shops.
Works wonders to clean the cans on my K1200S
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
iflybricks said:
WD-40? Really? Wow. Thanks for the input everyone. Can't wait to get home and try it out.
really works. i have done it with melted nylon sweats off of my ninjas stock can. spray and let it sit. use a non metal edge to scrape it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts