BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I use my bike all year in all weathers ands have serviced at main dealer. I took the fairing side. Off to replace clutch and found the cylinder block covered in white powdery and all paint gone".......

has anyone cleaned the block in situ and repainted it? If so how did you do it and what paint did you use etc.. I’m looking to strip the fairing off and give the bike a thorough clean and a acf50.. and clean the block and repaint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I have the same issue.

As an alternative to painting (which really needs removal of the engine to be done properly) I'm planning on removing all the paint with stripper, and polishing the cases using a flexi-drive running from a drill and a set of metal polishing heads / abrasives. I've done it before on other bikes and it comes up well. Usually I lacquer the finish using a high temp lacquer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hammerite satin black (NOT hammered black) is the go. It’s a British made product but available pretty much everywhere. I’ve used it extensively restoring several early K bikes with excellent results, including the sump case on a K1. The fins were heavily powdered as you describe, but it cleaned up very well with wet and dry sandpaper wrapped around a rod and passed between the fins. Yes, I had the sump off the engine as it’s really the only way to do it properly from prep tp painting. Results were excellent. Hammerite also produce a silver that is a very close finish to the oem silver BMW’s have been painted with for years. FYI, I won the BMWNZ concors d’elegance 2019 with a 1991 K1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts