BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit it, I have HUGE hands. As such, most grips, including those on the GT have too small of a diameter for me. In that same vein, I would like to help reduce some of the vibration that sometimes creeps through to my hands. Many years ago, I found a product that essentially was a thick tape that was adhesive on one side and almost gel like. I wound it around my stock grips and I was able to kill 2 birds with one roll of this tape. Problem is, I can not remember what the product was called.

Has anyone seen a similar product or maybe even a different idea all together. I want to avoid replacing the grips if that is possible.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
bnblazer said:
I admit it, I have HUGE hands. As such, most grips, including those on the GT have too small of a diameter for me. In that same vein, I would like to help reduce some of the vibration that sometimes creeps through to my hands. Many years ago, I found a product that essentially was a thick tape that was adhesive on one side and almost gel like. I wound it around my stock grips and I was able to kill 2 birds with one roll of this tape. Problem is, I can not remember what the product was called.

Has anyone seen a similar product or maybe even a different idea all together. I want to avoid replacing the grips if that is possible.

Thanks,
Brian
if you think the GT's grips are tiny... you ought to see the ones on my MV Brutale :p

you must remember that the more tape or other product you use... the more the HEATED grips will be come INeffective..... if you care about that sort of thing

here's what I would do.....
go to a reputable TENNIS store near you and look at the MANY GRIP TAPES for tennis rackets that they'll have.

i guarantee they'll have something you want at a decent price

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
you must remember that the more tape or other product you use... the more the HEATED grips will be come INeffective..... if you care about that sort of thing
I wouldn't consider that to be a true statement. A friend of mine wrapped his new RT's grips with racketball racket tape, and he said that the heat comes through the same as always.

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
I wouldn't consider that to be a true statement. A friend of mine wrapped his new RT's grips with racketball racket tape, and he said that the heat comes through the same as always.
a very intersting point... glad to hear that

·
Registered
302 Posts
Brian,

I put Grip Puppies on my K12S and life is good. Brings the diameter up to the K12RS diameter. For some odd reason they do not really remove much vibration. Its a good thing there is not a substantial amount of vibration to eliminate. You will also find that the heated grips work fine. They do take a little longer to reach temp, but they get just as warm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
El_Barto said:
Brian,

I put Grip Puppies on my K12S and life is good. Brings the diameter up to the K12RS diameter. For some odd reason they do not really remove much vibration. Its a good thing there is not a substantial amount of vibration to eliminate. You will also find that the heated grips work fine. They do take a little longer to reach temp, but they get just as warm.
I have found that the Grip Puppies both allow the same amount of heat to come thru, AND reduce vibration. On my western tour, the grips still got so hot on high I had to reduce to the middle position, and I was wearing my winter gloves with insulate. Just my experience - YMMV. BTW, I have them on every bike I own, except the Harley. That one is supposed to vibrate, and I never tour on it, so I don't need. Have Kuryakyn iso grips instead, but I am a real fan of the Grip Puppies.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered a set of the puppies using Bill's link. While I was there I found a .42 oz can of Plexus. I don't know about the rest of you, but that "tank bag size" is really hard to find here in NE WI.

Brian

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
messenger13 said:
What are you using the Plexus for?
Plexus is THE cleaner for your windshield (especially acrylic ones like Cee Baileys) and your face shield.

Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
bnblazer said:
Plexus is THE cleaner for your windshield (especially acrylic ones like Cee Baileys) and your face shield.

Brian
i have 3 cans in my garage now
i wouldn't use anything else
it makes the HONDA SPRAY CLEANER OBSOLETE

·
Registered
838 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i have 3 cans in my garage now
i wouldn't use anything else
it makes the HONDA SPRAY CLEANER OBSOLETE
I think Plexus has reached cult status amongst BMW riders. Based on my experience, I'd even have to say it's approaching "Urban Legend" status. I really can't see what the fuss is all about. I've used it for the past four years.

On my new GT I've decided to follow BMW's suggestions to the letter. (Interestingly enough this also follows Schuberth's recommendations as well for my visor(s).) I'm now travelling with a small bottle of water mixed with 3 or 4 drops of liquid soap and a few clean tea towels. I can report that to date I have NO swirls or scratches of any kind on my windshield and visor(s) under any kind of light. (unlike others that I've seen posted here) It works marvelously, in fact as good or better than Plexus. I'm not the "cheap" type so the cost of Plexus and nothing to do with it. In fact I own several cans now languishing on a shelf.

I know others will think this heresy, but I'm just making a suggestion and trying to debunk a "legend".

FWIW

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The ONLY thing I use on my windshields and face shields are warm water and a soft cloth. Not that Plexus isn't a good product. Just make sure it's acrylic that you're cleaning, and NOT polycarbonate like the BMW OEM shields!

I have heard a rumor (from a good source), that there's nothing like using a dryer sheet on your shield to get the bugs off. We'll have to try that one soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
The ONLY thing I use on my windshields and face shields are warm water and a soft cloth. Not that Plexus isn't a good product. Just make sure it's acrylic that you're cleaning, and NOT polycarbonate like the BMW OEM shields!

I have heard a rumor (from a good source), that there's nothing like using a dryer sheet on your shield to get the bugs off. We'll have to try that one soon.
here in florida we have plenty of bugs several times a year....
when i'm home, the only thing i use is SCALDING hot water on a large towel
those bugs come RIGHT off

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
here in florida we have plenty of bugs several times a year....
when i'm home, the only thing i use is SCALDING hot water on a large towel
those bugs come RIGHT off
Try the dryer sheet idea. I was told that the bugs practically jump off the shield. Perhaps after soaking with HOT water?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts