BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest windshield out there for my 2003 K1200RS. I really want the wind off my head and shoulders. I am thinking about the Laminar Lip but wondering if there's a recommend out there for a big shield. I'm 6'3. Thanx.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imho

I agree that the wind protection is not very good. I have a ’01 that I am setting up and am 6’2”. After checking on line I have concluded that the best WS is offered by Aeroflow. Check out this link:

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K12GT_&_K12RS.htm

It costs more than any other but takes care of the problem. I’m saving up for one.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The best windscreen set-up strictly for wind protection I had on my '04KRS was a stock GT screen W/ a Laminar Lip. I am just 5'9" and I personally think anyone over 6' would be pushing the limits of the Laminar Lip.
Conversely the worst windscreen I had for any use on a KRS was the stock short shield W/ a Laminar Lip. Go figure!!

A short Ztechnik shield worked great in the summer. Very smooth air flow over your body.
, almost as smooth as no windscreen at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
GoldRush said:
I agree that the wind protection is not very good. I have a ’01 that I am setting up and am 6’2”. After checking on line I have concluded that the best WS is offered by Aeroflow. Check out this link:

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K12GT_&_K12RS.htm

It costs more than any other but takes care of the problem. I’m saving up for one.
I don't ride slower.......than 80-90 mph......and still get +40 mpg......just did 1300 miles over 4 days thru rain,sleet,hail but no snow.....SL,UT to Taos,NM and back....the Aeroflow was right on....I'm 6'3" with risers, pegs lowered and a Corbin seat...:D

I would warn you that these screens are a bit thin, flex a lot and I have some cracks around the mounts which have been drilled to postpone spreading..... :dunno:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello InF... I have always been a function over form guy... but man... that shield and that helmet are ugly. Just joshing... thanx for the pix.

·
Registered
87 Posts
UGLY HELMETS SAVE HEADS.......

:snowlaff:

It's actually a custom Arai that I wear to attract cagers attention....they see me.....no excuses...

:ghug:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, I never have seen that look on a KRS. Are those still available? The mirrors look closer and lower then stock. Do you still have a view of what's behind you or do you just see the luggage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Schurgers wind-shield is a little bit to tall, so I have to pay them a visit next week to let it trim an inch or so.
Very nice shields! shiny RVS hardware and no more wind noise for me any more!

·
Registered
16 Posts
brucecha said:
The best windscreen set-up strictly for wind protection I had on my '04KRS was a stock GT screen W/ a Laminar Lip. I am just 5'9" and I personally think anyone over 6' would be pushing the limits of the Laminar Lip.
Conversely the worst windscreen I had for any use on a KRS was the stock short shield W/ a Laminar Lip. Go figure!!

A short Ztechnik shield worked great in the summer. Very smooth air flow over your body.
, almost as smooth as no windscreen at all.

+1 on the Ztech shorty :twocents:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bike is a 2003 K1200RS. I have the Z Technic windshield and it does a fine job. I haven't compared it to others though. I like the idea that I can raise it with a push of the lever and down when I want to go fast for possible better economy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
siclmn said:
Does it come with the lever to raise and lower it? Or did you add one?
It's not clear to me whether it came with the shield or not. I am a second owner and it was already there when I bought the bike. Maybe i can do some research to find out and report back for you. It sure works nice and you can adjust it while in motion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts